#1 kylecurtis

kylecurtis

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:22 PM

This is probably a super basic question.

If i take film to be datacined via a sprit - what's the normal/best way to take the dpx files away?

Is it as simple as taking a big harddrive, or does it work differently?

I reckon i need about 1.3TB worth, and you can buy an external 2TB drive now - sounds too simple to me, there's bound to be a caveat...

thanks
k

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:36 PM

This is probably a super basic question.

If i take film to be datacined via a sprit - what's the normal/best way to take the dpx files away?

Is it as simple as taking a big harddrive, or does it work differently?

I reckon i need about 1.3TB worth, and you can buy an external 2TB drive now - sounds too simple to me, there's bound to be a caveat...

thanks
k

Hi,

I got 1000 frames of DXP files out of a Spirit via Inferno to a PC with a firewire drive. It was a very slow process, I hope you find a better way!

I have also recorded HD from a Spirit recording onto Directors friend, then output DPX files to a laptop, was much quicker.

Stephen

#3 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:03 PM

The way to optimally do this to telecine directly to a server, than transfer over to a firewire drive. However, the transfer to firewire is not in real time, and adds a lot to the overall cost of each batch of footage you put through this process. Currently, there are only a limited number of facilities that are set up to telecine directly to a server as 4:4:4 DPX files.

#4 kylecurtis

kylecurtis

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:37 AM

Hopefully so long as its transferred to a server i won't get charged 'spirit' time for the transfer. I was curious to see if facilities tended to output to LTO tape or something similar i wasn't aware of, but a simple firewire drive sounds like a possibility.

Stephen, what's directors friend? it is a device or a network service?

The trouble is, transferring a lot to firewire just isn't really fast enough - i mean firewire writing at 60MB/s means over 6 hours for 1.3TB. That might not be practical.

Is there such a thing as a specific type of server for a spirit? What connections might it have, eSATA would be faster than firewire but that's probably a bit too recent.

thanks again
k

#5 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 17 March 2006 - 05:36 AM

thanks again
k

Hi,

Its a hard drive recorder.

Stephen

#6 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 18 March 2006 - 09:13 AM

Hopefully so long as its transferred to a server i won't get charged 'spirit' time for the transfer. I was curious to see if facilities tended to output to LTO tape or something similar i wasn't aware of, but a simple firewire drive sounds like a possibility.

The trouble is, transferring a lot to firewire just isn't really fast enough - i mean firewire writing at 60MB/s means over 6 hours for 1.3TB. That might not be practical.

Is there such a thing as a specific type of server for a spirit? What connections might it have, eSATA would be faster than firewire but that's probably a bit too recent.

thanks again
k

What about firewire 800? or SATA II? SATA II is probably the best choice, ie.. largest drives with good speed and resonable price. But then again, the post house has to have a SATA hook up.

#7 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11936 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 March 2006 - 10:18 AM

Hi,

The best case scenario for this is to record the HD onto a RAID server and then spool it off onto a caddy-mounted serial ATA hard disk drive. Given that full-whack HD is about 180Mbytes/sec and the best you can expect from a freshly-formatted single drive is about 25Mbytes/sec, you can count on anything up to eight or nine times realtime. Firewire or other externally interfaced hard disks won't do it as quickly, but either way, it's a long time to tie the server up.

Phil

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC