#1 Roberto Hernandez

Roberto Hernandez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Student
  • Orlando, Florida

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:46 PM

I have not seen enough episodes of CSI to be a real fan but I have watched a couple episodes of CSI: Miami and I love the lighting! The colors are really great and the look of the show is amazing. I have stopped to watch this show just because of the lighting, its so well done that it just brings me in and I want to see more. One thing I really like is the nets that are used behind the lens (i think). Whenever they have a flashlight in the scene, they have the actors shine it into the lens and what you see is a great net artifact which brings a nice style to the show. I was just wondering what type of net is used on the show. I hope someone here might know by watching the show or maybe they might have inside information.lol. Anyway any help would be appreciatied. Thanks.

#2 Kevin Zanit

Kevin Zanit
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1223 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 17 March 2006 - 02:51 AM

They probably use black ultra sheer panty hoes from Dior or Fogal (Nobblesse 110 is popular).

Kevin Zanit

#3 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:16 AM

Whenever they have a flashlight in the scene, they have the actors shine it into the lens and what you see is a great net artifact which brings a nice style to the show.

I'm not sure which shots you've seen, but I've noticed that many of the "flashlight" shots use what appears to be a "streak" filter, which when properly oriented in the matte box can give a single straight-line streak of light, not unlike the horizontal flare you get with anamorphic lenses (sort of a poor-man's anamorphic flare).

Nets on the other hand tend to give more of a star pattern to specular highlights. No doubt the DP's change filtration according to the shot.

Definitely some of the most stylish cinematography on TV at the moment.

#4 Mike Panczenko

Mike Panczenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Philadelphia, USA

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:19 AM

I just did a pilot for a new lawyer show by the CSI people, and the cinematographer, who also shot CSI, used Fugal nets behind the lens.

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc