3 replies to this topic

#1 Kirill Nersesyan

Kirill Nersesyan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:41 PM

Hi all. I need an advice. I am planning a TV drama soon as a DOP. On the last work I had trouble with the lens my producers provided (it was a Broadcast TV Fujinon Zoom Lens). It had a horrible zoom effect (sorry if I am using a wrong term - I am Russian). Anyway anyt ime I would change the focus the lens would have a visible zoom effect. Which looked horrible of course. Could you advise on a lens ? Have you had an experience like mine ? I am planning to use 900 Sony HD CineAlta camera.

#2 Frank Barrera

Frank Barrera
  • Sustaining Members
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:42 PM

When doing dramatic work you should trade in the ENG for a Cine Style to start. It's just better all around.
The Fujinon HA 20x7.8 Cine Style has minimal "breathing". I shot a feature with it on a Varicam and didn't find the breathing to be horrible. And that's an older lens. The newer version is even better. If you want to spend a little more money you could go with the Zeiss Digi Zooms which are very fast and the breathing is virtually non existent. Of course you would need to get a few of them because each one only covers short ranges of focal legnths ie: 6MM-24MM, 28MM-70MM etc. I've never tried the cine style Canon HJ 20x7.8 but you could try that as well.

The answer is to test all the zoom lenses you can get your hands on.

Good luck

FB

#3 Kirill Nersesyan

Kirill Nersesyan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:50 AM

When doing dramatic work you should trade in the ENG for a Cine Style to start. It's just better all around.
The Fujinon HA 20x7.8 Cine Style has minimal "breathing". I shot a feature with it on a Varicam and didn't find the breathing to be horrible. And that's an older lens. The newer version is even better. If you want to spend a little more money you could go with the Zeiss Digi Zooms which are very fast and the breathing is virtually non existent. Of course you would need to get a few of them because each one only covers short ranges of focal legnths ie: 6MM-24MM, 28MM-70MM etc. I've never tried the cine style Canon HJ 20x7.8 but you could try that as well.

The answer is to test all the zoom lenses you can get your hands on.

Good luck

FB

Thanks for the reply. I will test as many as I can. I have to go with a zoom lens, because the director I work with hates not being able to zoom on the spot. I know it is wrong, but he is the chief here :)

#4 Harry Capota

Harry Capota
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 February 2007 - 04:31 PM

or canon cinestyle lens 7,5-158, no servo zoom, no breathing, clean shading

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC