#1 Jeremy Nielsen

Jeremy Nielsen

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:39 PM

I've gone back to watch the first season of Lost on DVD and I have one question. I realize it could just be my television, but:

The dvd version of Lost looks amazing (aside from the framed aspect ratio) but the color and contrast and such looks so much better than it did when if was broadcast. I'm wondering the technical reason for this.

#2 Tenolian Bell

Tenolian Bell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:13 PM

We've had some disagreements on this in the past.

But I agree to my eye the DVD of a television show looks for the most part looks much better than when it was broadcast.

I don't work directly in the broadcast industry, but from conversation I've had with people who do. A broadcast television show can go through two or three stages of compression before you see it. The compression is pretty evenly distributed by hardware with little compensation for motion or picture detail. With the heaviest compression coming in at the end of the chain from the cable/satalite provider.

With professional DVD compression. A trained person will watch and judge motion and detail to decide where to apply most compression and where to apply the least. The hardware used in professional DVD houses are very specialized and expensive. Shows are also spread out across multiple DVD's which can require less compression.

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Glidecam

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport