Ant

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:01 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this site. Maybe some of you can help me with this.
I'm gonna be travelling to Jamaica to shoot a music video on 35mm. We're buying about 6000ft of short ends maybe some 50D - all the way up to 500T.

We're leaveing form Toronto, to Montego Bay, and then back again.

They say you should always bring the film as carry on. But 6000ft? We got like maybe 30 rolls of film. We can split it among 5 or 6 people but still. Has anyone got expericnce with this? I'm gonna phone the air line, but anything else someone can suggest? It seems like a big headache flying that much film back and fourth.

Thanks for any info.

#2 Ant

Ant

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:42 PM

Okay I see you guys kinda covered this already. The search button didn't work for me the first time. BUT I still am wondering what I should do with 30 plus rolls of shoirtends. Ithink I'm just gonna lket it go through the carry on scanner, I can't ask them to hand search 30 cans in four or five bags.

#3 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 March 2006 - 02:37 AM

Fedex will be much cheaper than having to reshoot if there is a problem. If you decide to hand carry then you should certainly attempt to have it hand inspected. Most likely, they're not going to open more than a couple cans.

#4 oscar jimenez

oscar jimenez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • PANAMA, REPUBLIC OF PANAMA

Posted 18 March 2006 - 12:44 PM

Hi, you could send that film in advance via Courier, DHL and UPS are very serius when it comes to negative handling, I have used both and never had a problem, if you have a local producer or production person in Jamaica ( that i logically think you should ) this can be taken to this persons ofice or House, Just be sure to extra label "NO X RAYS, UNDEVELOPED FILM" on box and Cans, so that to make sure no stupidity will arise on their way. If you want to take this by hand on a plane, on your regular carry on should fit at least 10 tightly packed cans, so that makes a few people with film on the plane, take withyou a roll of gaffers tape , duct tape or masking tape ( this last one is the best to stick on cold cans and humidity conditions ) and one changing bag, so all of you cross customs x ray and search posts at the same time on airport. I had to carry once 60 cans of 16mm film on Miami Intl Airport and I survived!!! just one can opened, I already had my changing bag with me, good luck matte.
Oscar

#5 Ant

Ant

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director

Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:04 AM

Thanks guys,

Hmm I guess I should lookinto shipping it FEdex or something. I guess I just got scared with the whole NEVER CHECK your film in cargo since those x-rays scanners for cargo are much stronger.

But i guess Fedex would have done this kinda thing many times already.

Thanks,

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine