#1 Sam Care

Sam Care
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:28 PM

I was wondering how much of a difference in grain there would be shooting 7279 vs 7218 or 7274 vs 7217 if you were intending to do a 35mm blow-up?

#2 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:37 PM

You'll definitely notice a pronounced difference in grain between 7279 and 7218 when blown up to 35mm. I'd go with the 7218, hands down. I haven't seen comparisons of the 200 ASA stocks blown up, but would expect the 7217 to be cleaner, as well.

#3 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:43 AM

In France, Kodak seems to stop selling vision (1) stocks, by now...

#4 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:40 PM

I was wondering how much of a difference in grain there would be shooting 7279 vs 7218 or 7274 vs 7217 if you were intending to do a 35mm blow-up?

For Super-16, the VISION2 stocks clearly have finer grain, especially for the faster stocks like 7218. But even the very fine grained 7245 takes second place to 7201 as the having the least graininess of any film on the market.

#5 Sam Care

Sam Care
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 19 March 2006 - 04:32 PM

I was originally going to shoot a mixture of 7201, 7205, 7217, 7218, all Vision 2, on a feature for 35mm blow-up. However Kodak have offered the production a discount on 7279 and 7274 which is from the U.S I think where they still produce it. If I go with the Vision 2 stocks I'll have a finer grained blow-up which the director wants, but If I get the Vision 1, we can afford more footage and a greater shooting ratio. My other worry is that if I went with Vision 1 I'd have to shoot most of it on 7279 because I don't think the 7274 is fast enough for the many car and apartment day interior scenes in the film, unless I shot them uncorrected which I don't really want to do.

#6 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 March 2006 - 06:42 PM

I was originally going to shoot a mixture of 7201, 7205, 7217, 7218, all Vision 2, on a feature for 35mm blow-up. However Kodak have offered the production a discount on 7279 and 7274 which is from the U.S I think where they still produce it. If I go with the Vision 2 stocks I'll have a finer grained blow-up which the director wants, but If I get the Vision 1, we can afford more footage and a greater shooting ratio. My other worry is that if I went with Vision 1 I'd have to shoot most of it on 7279 because I don't think the 7274 is fast enough for the many car and apartment day interior scenes in the film, unless I shot them uncorrected which I don't really want to do.

If you're already budgeted for a 35mm blow up, not to mention the rest of the cost of the production, will an extra discount on stock really be worth the compromise? It would pay to test, including a blowup of the test. It's important to know what you're getting before committing an entire production.

#7 George Lekovic

George Lekovic
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:04 PM

If you're already budgeted for a 35mm blow up, not to mention the rest of the cost of the production, will an extra discount on stock really be worth the compromise? It would pay to test, including a blowup of the test. It's important to know what you're getting before committing an entire production.

Go with Vision2 - it is a significant difference. I shot a film with '18 (for inside) and '45 (for outside). It came out pretty good in terms of matching, and '18 did not stand out as grainier stock, especially bearing in mind that '45 was the finest grain stock at the time.

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

CineTape

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Technodolly