12 replies to this topic

#1 Travis Cline

Travis Cline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 March 2006 - 11:52 PM

I just finished cutting a rough version of my narrative reel and put it on the web. The dilema I face, which is the same one we all face when cutting a reel, is what to cut and what to leave. Right now my reel is about two minutes long which is about the length I would like it to be. The problem is that I shot two features and some other projects that I am going to include as soon as I color correct them. So, I need to cut out about a third of the shots I have in there right now and would love everyone's opinions on what they like and don't like. Please don't be shy and don't feel like you have to say anything is good. Tell me which shots make me look amateur, which parts bore you, and which shots you feel you could do without. Positive criticism about which shots you defiinitely do like would help as well. Thank you all. Let me know.

http://playsaga.com/traviscline.mov

Travis

www.playsaga.com/traviscline.mov

#2 Dominik Muench

Dominik Muench
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brisbane

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:50 AM

since im not in the position to criticise i wont do it, i really like the reel, some great shots with a variety of different styles, i think its good.

what was the shot with the bloody singer from ?

#3 matthew david burton

matthew david burton
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:28 AM

Very very nice reel :D
The first thing i would cut is the harsh black and white sequence that leads into the guy sat down in the ally.
Just looks outa place cut the hole sequence.
Secondly their seems to be to many headshots all linked together, try mixing it up more if you have more footage.
The final thing i would change, or just think about next time you do your reel. Try finding some contrasting music and really mix it up just using short emotive sections of tracks to fit with visuals.
When you just use one track the hole way through you are really taking a chance and making the edit more painstaking.
Although the music you chose was nice and unobtrusive, i can think of tracks that would have suited sequence's much better.
Then again it's not easy to get clearance, but who cares about that on a reel, it's not going to be broadcast is it ?

-matt

Edited by matthew david burton, 21 March 2006 - 06:28 AM.

#4 Travis Cline

Travis Cline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:13 PM

Thanks for the replies. It's true, I do have too many headshots and want to cut some of them. Are there any in particular that you like or don't like? I agree about the music too. I never really wanted to use it for the final product anyway, I just used it to cut to and because it is unobtrusive it was easy. I haven't found the right music yet. The bloody singer is from a music video I did for a band called Fear Before the March of Flames and the video is appropiately as absurd as the name of the band. That's the only shot I used that is not from a narrative. Did it strike you as very music video-ish? I didn't want to include shots from music videos, but I like it a bit and thought I might get away with one shot as well. Perhaps it looks like a film with a singer in it? I don't know, what do you think?

Travis

#5 matthew david burton

matthew david burton
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:35 PM

Hi Travis,
I really like the reel untill you speed up the edits along with the music. The reason the head shots look bland is their isn't any real movement or emotion in the shots.
Love the girl standing in rain as car drives past :rolleyes:
Didn't see point of lady on bed reading magazine ?
Keep us posted.
Cheers
-matt

Edited by matthew david burton, 21 March 2006 - 09:36 PM.

#6 Cole Webley

Cole Webley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 March 2006 - 02:59 AM

I thought the shot of the girl standing in the rain is another example of your artistic capabilities, I think I would keep it.

Be interested to see it with different music - and I will also be interest to see "Dungbeetle" stuff.

I think their is one frame from a previous shot that makes it looks like it is a skip during the "Pride" stuff with them looking into the frame with thier wedding clothes--take a look.

Looks very, very, pretty Travis.

Cheers.

#7 Travis Cline

Travis Cline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:48 PM

I really appreciate the comments and I do have too many head shots. I shot second unit on a film last year. All I did for three weeks was drive across the country shooting landscapes in anamorphic so hopefully once it is color corrected that will give me some nice footage to contrast with all of my headshots. I've been thinking about the use of different music you suggested Matthew. different music for different sections. Have you tried this or seen it in other reels? I would like to try it, but I'm not quite sure how go about it. I'll see if it works.

Travis

Edited by travisclinedp, 23 March 2006 - 05:48 PM.

#8 4mat

4mat
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:11 PM

I've been thinking about the use of different music you suggested Matthew. different music for different sections. Have you tried this or seen it in other reels? I would like to try it, but I'm not quite sure how go about it. I'll see if it works.
Travis

I have done this many times but alas nothing online.
Have you ever watched a film ?
lol sorry i mean a good film with a good soundtrack.
Of corse, well it's same principle but shorter.
I have shown your reel to a few friends and they say don't change a thing.
Including my girlfriend and she is always right lol
-matt

Edited by 4mat, 28 March 2006 - 06:12 PM.

#9 Travis Cline

Travis Cline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:35 PM

Thanks Matt, I appreciate that. I know, I get what you are saying about the music, that's funny. I'm just figuring how to do it when each section is 10 seconds long, or thereabouts. You know what I mean? Seriously though, I have to cut somethings, I have better shots to insert for sure and somethings got to go.

Travis

#10 razerfish

razerfish
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:16 AM

Travis,

You sent me your reel on DVD and I found it to be among the very best reels I received. And that's saying something, since I've received upwards of 100 reels so far.

I'll probably make a post on what I consider the makings of a really outstanding reel based on my experience watching them, but just wanted to let you know that yours is in the top ten percent. You're one of the few people that used music appropriately (as tempo got faster, so did the edits).

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know that I liked your reel.

Edited by razerfish, 11 April 2006 - 09:18 AM.

#11 seth christian

seth christian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Director
  • Nashville, TN. USA

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:37 PM

yes. too many cu head shots...mix it up more.
however, I disagree with the comment about taking out the
black&white into the man in alley....I think it only seems
a little out of place due to the placement, not illiminating
it....just put the man running (color shots) first to work into
the character smoother, than I think it would be fine.

other than those things.........FANTASTIC REEL!!
is everything 35mm?

#12 Travis Cline

Travis Cline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 April 2006 - 02:52 PM

Everything is 35mm except for the shots in the section with the man in the alley and the guys running. those were shot on 16mm and skip-bleached. My reel is edited properly as you say(editing to the music) because of my lovely wife. She is an editor, so having access to her and her talent really helps when it comes to cutting this. She has a great sense of where to put things and how to edit them to get the best feeling out of it. thanks for the comments and I just found out we're going to be color-correcting a feature I shot last summer in the next couple of weeks so that should be added to my reel soon and I'll repost. Thanks all.

Travis

#13 rodhenderson

rodhenderson
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:11 PM

First of all, I really like your reel, I think it's great as it is! Nice editing too!
But if you do want to cut some shots, I suggest looking at your last one - I think there are many outstanding shots in your reel and I think you would want the last one to be one of your best. Other shots that you might want to leave out/replace: the scene with the guy in front of the presentation screen; the guy applauding; the tire; the (headless) guy sitting down on the bench in the hallway (but maybe keep the close up of him sitting down); the drill. But...this is only to make your excellent stuff come out even better! Other than that: very impressive!!

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks