#1 Bernhard Zitz

Bernhard Zitz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Other
  • Zürich, Switzerland

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:13 AM

I need a telecine 16mm to SD PAL Quicktime 10bit 4:2:2. The lab has a spirit (expensiv) and a shadow (cheaper)...

My last film I tranfered on the Spirit and I was very happy with the result, working in SD would the shadow give similar results?

cheers, Bernhard

#2 Michael Most

Michael Most
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:18 AM

I need a telecine 16mm to SD PAL Quicktime 10bit 4:2:2. The lab has a spirit (expensiv) and a shadow (cheaper)...

My last film I tranfered on the Spirit and I was very happy with the result, working in SD would the shadow give similar results?

Unless the Spirit is a new one (either Spirit 2K or 4K) you're not likely to notice much difference in standard definition.

#3 Bernhard Zitz

Bernhard Zitz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Other
  • Zürich, Switzerland

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:39 AM

Unless the Spirit is a new one (either Spirit 2K or 4K) you're not likely to notice much difference in standard definition.

thanks for answering, It's a spirit datacine(no 2k or 4k), not sure if it has the upgrade, think I go for the shadow...

#4 Dirk DeJonghe

Dirk DeJonghe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Kortrijk,Belgium

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:17 PM

I have a comparison between the Spirit 1 and the Shadow, same images to data DPX. I think the Shadow is sharper but has slightly more aliasing.

#5 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:26 PM

I have a comparison between the Spirit 1 and the Shadow, same images to data DPX. I think the Shadow is sharper but has slightly more aliasing.

Hi,

The Dynamic range is also better on a Spirit. I did a best light pass in New York at a lab. I did a final grade on a Shadow, the colorist could not get as good result as the Spirit! If you don't do a back to back you will be more than happy with a Shadow.

Stephen

#6 Michael Most

Michael Most
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:40 AM

thanks for answering, It's a spirit datacine(no 2k or 4k), not sure if it has the upgrade, think I go for the shadow...

The Spirit 2K and 4K is not an upgrade. It's a completely different machine, with different sensors, signal path, and many other changes. The Spirit 1 cannot be upgraded to a Spirit 2K or 4K. It must be replaced.

#7 Bernhard Zitz

Bernhard Zitz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Other
  • Zürich, Switzerland

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:49 AM

Hello Dirk,

what machine do you use at your lab for SD-Telecine?

#8 Dirk DeJonghe

Dirk DeJonghe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Kortrijk,Belgium

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:57 AM

hello Bernhard,

I currently have two ways of doing SD: our Marconi telecine machine (21 years old but still OK for rushes) and our Oxberry scanner (not real time but highest quality).

I am in negociations with Thomson and others for an HD/SD capable telecine to be able to do real-time HD transfers. This new machine should be installed before the summer.

For very high quality SD or HD we use the scanner to scan direct to DPX 10bit RGB log files that are then graded in Baselight and output as DPX to DDR as data all the way. Only the last step from DDR to Beta Digi is in video domain. I scan at twice PALresolution for PAL so this gives absolutely perfect results after Baselight output to PAL.

Scanning the negative on one light to 10 bit Log DPX files means that practically all the information is captured in the file;

Our workflow is a bit slow right now but improving as we go. We scan about 20 minutes per day.

If you want you can send me a few frames that I can scan and put on tape for you to see the quality.

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

CineLab

Visual Products

Technodolly

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS