Jornenzal

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:04 PM

Hello everyone,

I've been doing some research on Bolex cameras - specifically the EBM and EL models.

Depending on who you ask, it seems like some people feel that these cameras are only suitable for MOS work because they make such a racket. Others seem to feel think that although they're noisy, just throwing a blanket over them dilutes the sound enough for sync work.

I've been googling this, but I can't seem to find an answer: Does anyone know the precise decibel ratings for these cameras? That would give me a better idea of how much noise they actually make...

Thanks!

-Kieran

#2 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:40 PM

If memory serves, it is in the forties or fifties. It is not a sound sync camera. Take it from someone who pulled his hair out for nine months trying to make it one. We barney'd, blanketed, leather jacketed, everything we could think of. Then spent eternity in post with noise reduction software trying to remove the camera noise. Didn't happen. If you do not mind re-recording all of your sound and dialog, go for it. But what you get while the camera is running is good for reference only. I am talking about the EBM, I have not used an EL.

Very noisy camera. I do believe you can write to Bolex in Switzerland and they will tell you the decibel level for the camera. I want to say 46 dbl., but my memory is foggy on it. I knew at one time. But to give you some reference, a sound sync camera, a good one, has a decibel range in the 18 to 21 dbl. And again, if memory serves, every jump in three decibels doubles the sound. So 24 dbl. is twice as loud as 21 dbl., and 27 dbl. is twice as loud as that. By the time you get up to the forties, it is roaring.

Just my experience. And when you add a magazine with 400' of film, and the mag motor, forget it.

-Tim

#3 Jornenzal

Jornenzal

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:53 PM

46db!!???

In the words of Louisa May Alcott, "Holy crap!"

Jeez. I understand why they really aren't sync cameras now. Thanks very much for your help, Tim. I think you've saved me a potentially fatal migraine!

#4 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:58 AM

if memory serves, every jump in three decibels doubles the sound. So 24 dbl. is twice as loud as 21 dbl., and 27 dbl. is twice as loud as that. By the time you get up to the forties, it is roaring.

Every 2 dB is a double of the 'power' - which is not the same as the percieved volume increase... a double in percieved volume is when we get 10 x the power which is infact 10 dB ...

the math/logic is as follows:

logs + obscure reference values + random haiku = confusion

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Tai Audio

Technodolly

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine