fresnel light for cheap?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lukeo

Lukeo
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:19 PM

Hi,

I'm looking for a fresnel light to add to my low budget lighting package to have the control of a hard narrow spot light to a flood of light. What light do you recomend I go for? I am looking for something on the cheap side.

Luke

#2 Brian Wells

Brian Wells
  • Sustaining Members
  • 438 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:52 PM

On a budget, you might look into ETC Source 4 Parnel. They're so versatile, I'm surprised they aren't used more often in film. Also, LTM makes a nice line of fresnels.

#3 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:34 PM

How cheap is real cheap? I've scored sheet metal 500 watt fresnels off eBay from time to time for around $25, and good quality 1kW cast aluminum ones for around $100. There are imitation ETC Par's on eBay going pretty cheap, that's not a Parnel, the eBay ones come with a set of three lenses for focus changes. I've got some experience with real Parnels, I prefer a true focusing Fresnel, the Parnels don't have enough spot to flood range for my taste.

Edmond, OK

#4 Barry Cheong

Barry Cheong
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Student
  • Toronto, Canada

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:31 AM

What are people's thoughts on the ETC Parnel vs the ETC Source 4 Par? I just picked up a used Source 4 Par for pretty cheap. I haven't taken it out yet for any real world testing. I'd like to know how it compares to the S4 Par in general.

#5 Lukeo

Lukeo
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:47 PM

hey what about something like this?

LOWEL P210 PRO-LIGHT AC/DC VID LIGHT W/O

With its high intensity #2 Reflector & Prismatic Glass, the tiny focusable Pro-Light is more efficient than a mini-fresnel of equal wattage, yet it gives an exquisite even light, with fresnel like shadow quality
It can be used as a low-level key or accent light, fill light (with diffusion), or backlight
In addition to a wide variety of customizing accessories, its versatility can be increased by adding a DC adapter cable & swapping its bulb for use as a camera-top fixture
Change the setting from "spot" to "flood" position, or anywhere in between by turning knob on side of unit. Has a focus range of 5:1 with GCA lamp
The front end comes off for easy access, no-tool lamp change
Substituting the prismatic glass for the optional clear glass turns light into a non-focusing, high intensity spotlight, for long throw situations
250 Watts maximum
Pro socket
Prismatic Glass
Reflector (Mirror)
High intensity #2 reflector
Fits on any standard 5/8" stand or stud
4' captive cable
Focusing - Continuously variable
Weight with cable 2 lbs
Dimensions 4.6 x 5 x 3.7"

it;s price is $249.99 Canadian at Henrys.

will it have a good range of spot to flood? I want something that can do a really narrow spot, I'll probably invest in a snoot as well or make one out of black wrap.

#6 Barry Cheong

Barry Cheong
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Student
  • Toronto, Canada

Posted 25 March 2006 - 02:36 AM

I actually like the Pro Light quite a bit. With the 12V operation option it's a great light but it's definitely not a fresnel. The barndoors aren't so great and it's difficult to get a hard cut with out having some black wrap or a set of flags. That said it does make a great backlight or eye light with some diffusion.

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc