#1 Mark Allen

Mark Allen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:50 PM

Especially for documentarians, but for all filmmakers curious about public domain and rights materials, here is a neat comic book from Duke Law which helps answer common questions about rights use.

http://www.law.duke....cs/digital.html

#2 Grainy

Grainy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 March 2006 - 03:29 PM

this is good stuff, takes a while to get to the punch line if you're looking for something specific, but the info's all there and dealt with realisitically instead of in the flip, curory way that's too common online these days.
I'm working on a film that uses LOTS of public domain images, have talked to the free legal council for the arts folks here in Seattle, and this all jibes with what they've told me.
G

#3 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:31 PM

I realy like that.

Page 48 answers the question about logos appearing in movies, a question that has been asked on this site a hundred times, and debated every time.

I hope people obsessed with the issue of logos in films will read page 48.

I won't even quote what it says because I'm tired of hearing the non-legally backed up claims from the ultra paranoid in this forum.

R,

#4 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 24 March 2006 - 01:36 AM

It was very interesting though really just confirmed what I already knew, although I was surprised by the Simpsons thing. Hasn't that guy made enough money? I mean 10 grand coooome oooon! That's just plain greed. I was wondering though if anyone knows of a sight that lists public domain material without charging for the information and is accurate.

Edited by Capt.Video, 24 March 2006 - 01:37 AM.

#5 razerfish

razerfish
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:41 PM

this is good stuff, takes a while to get to the punch line if you're looking for something specific, but the info's all there and dealt with realisitically instead of in the flip, curory way that's too common online these days.
I'm working on a film that uses LOTS of public domain images, have talked to the free legal council for the arts folks here in Seattle, and this all jibes with what they've told me.
G

Can you pass on the contact info to the free legal council you talked to? I'm trying to find out if I can use paintings that give the same flavor and reel of Norman Rockwell paintings (you know, that America feel) but don't know where to look for rights, or if I even need them. Google didn't help. Can you steer me in the right direction?

#6 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:21 AM

You know, they had a couple of websites in the comix. They may be able to help you as well or adleast point you in the right direction.

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets