#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:59 AM

Hey guys, I just got a Combi 500 and was wondering if anyone Knows what batteries this thing takes and also where there's an online manual for this thing (I'm hoping I can get away without buying a reprint). It's pretty cool but I know nothing about it. It has an attachment that I THINK allows it to function as a spot meter.when used in conjuction with the camera It's called a photoreader and I have the instrctions for that. Any help on this would be appreciated

#2 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:53 AM

I think all the old Spectras took no batteries whatsoever. Only the newer -- and I date myself here, as in the last 15 years is newer -- Spectras take 6v photo batteries. The sensor is a selenium cell that generates electricity from light hitting it, which is enough to move the needle on the analog meter. There were callibrated slides which were attenuated using punched holes for different film stock sensitivities.

#3 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:26 AM

Actually this takes a pair of large watch type batteries for the low light sensor. but I just don't know what they are.

#4 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:45 AM

Hey guys, I just got a Combi 500 and was wondering if anyone Knows what batteries this thing takes and also where there's an online manual for this thing (I'm hoping I can get away without buying a reprint). It's pretty cool but I know nothing about it. It has an attachment that I THINK allows it to function as a spot meter.when used in conjuction with the camera It's called a photoreader and I have the instrctions for that. Any help on this would be appreciated

I've got a Combi-500, the batteries are for the small Cadmium Selenide sensor in the center of the large sensor. My low light sensor is dead and I've read posts that say they're all dead by now and Photo Research can't supply replacements. But the large sensor still works great in mine. The batteries are for the low light sensor so the meter will work fine otherwise, the original batteries are Mallory RM625 Mercury cells which are no longer available. I saw replacements somewhere that were REAL pricey, probably modern small silver cells with a miniaturized add on voltage regulator for the RM625's 1.34 volts.

You could safely test the low light sensor with modern hearing aid cells, if your meter comes up working you could Google for the substitute cells. If you're at all handy with a soldering iron I'll design you a simple outboard regulator that will use a 9 volt akaline cell regulated down to 2.68 volts.

I've got the original Combi-500 manual. My email address is in my Forum profile, send me an email with where you'd like a copy sent. I'll scan it later today and also email Tim Tyler to see what's involved in posting it on the Forum

Edmond, OK

#5 Tim Terner

Tim Terner
  • Sustaining Members
  • 340 posts
  • Producer
  • Prague, CZ

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:42 AM

I've got a Combi-500, the batteries are for the small Cadmium Selenide sensor in the center of the large sensor. My low light sensor is dead and I've read posts that say they're all dead by now and Photo Research can't supply replacements. But the large sensor still works great in mine. The batteries are for the low light sensor so the meter will work fine otherwise, the original batteries are Mallory RM625 Mercury cells which are no longer available. I saw replacements somewhere that were REAL pricey, probably modern small silver cells with a miniaturized add on voltage regulator for the RM625's 1.34 volts.

You could safely test the low light sensor with modern hearing aid cells, if your meter comes up working you could Google for the substitute cells. If you're at all handy with a soldering iron I'll design you a simple outboard regulator that will use a 9 volt akaline cell regulated down to 2.68 volts.

I've got the original Combi-500 manual. My email address is in my Forum profile, send me an email with where you'd like a copy sent. I'll scan it later today and also email Tim Tyler to see what's involved in posting it on the Forum

Edmond, OK

What a wonderful gesture

#6 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:31 PM

Hal, your fantastic man! Thanks alot. Actually If Tim can post the manual that would be even better so that anyone else In my situation can also benifit from your generousity. Thanks again!

#7 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:57 PM

Hal, your fantastic man! Thanks alot. Actually If Tim can post the manual that would be even better so that anyone else In my situation can also benifit from your generousity. Thanks again!

Unfortunately, Tim doesn't host manuals on the Forum because too much storage is required. He lists links to other sites with the data. But that doesn't stop me from directly emailing it to you.

Hal

#8 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 22 March 2006 - 02:13 PM

I'm sorry to hear that, but I definately am thankful for my good fortune. Again thanks alot. I emailed you about 10 minutes ago and am looking forward to seeing this thing. So from what your saying, The Cadmium Selenide sensor can't be fixed? That sucks. I was hoping to use he spot attachment, because I don't have a spot meter yet and they're pretty damn expensive. You would think someone would have old, new stock lying around somewhere. I doubt whether the old sensor can be rebuilt. It would be nice though.

#9 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:06 PM

I just wanted to let everyone know Hal came through with the manual and puplicly thank him again. He's great.

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Wooden Camera