#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:17 AM

I just got a Nagra IV-L and want to use it for sound and poss. start working it on productions that come into town. I still need to pick up a crystal sync unit or Tobin board for it but they're not that expensive. The problem is this unit, unless I'm wrong is not capible of storing Time code. How critical is this and also are there any tips and lists of nessesary equipment I should have to do sound work. I have a 14' shotgun and a couple of omni directional mics, 3 wireless Lavs but should I pick up a Cordioil as well? Also do you need a mixing board or is this something that's nice to have but not imperitive? Keep in mind these will probably be small independent features and comercials.

#2 Bernhard Zitz

Bernhard Zitz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Other
  • Z├╝rich, Switzerland

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:35 AM

I just got a Nagra IV-L and want to use it for sound and poss. start working it on productions that come into town. I still need to pick up a crystal sync unit or Tobin board for it but they're not that expensive. The problem is this unit, unless I'm wrong is not capible of storing Time code. How critical is this and also are there any tips and lists of nessesary equipment I should have to do sound work. I have a 14' shotgun and a couple of omni directional mics, 3 wireless Lavs but should I pick up a Cordioil as well? Also do you need a mixing board or is this something that's nice to have but not imperitive? Keep in mind these will probably be small independent features and comercials.

The Nagra IV-L records in mono I think, it has two Inputs you can mix down to the monotrack. To mix down more than two inputs a mixing board is needed. Omnidirectional Mics take loads of enviroment noise, for indoor booming; cardioid, hypercardioid or supercardioid are a better choise for outdoor the shotgun, depends on the situation.

If the camera has pilottone you can sync it the old way via cable from cam to nagra...

regards, Bernhard

#3 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:24 PM

You may get more responses if you ask again in the Production Sound forum. It's at the bottom of the main forum list underneath the Library & Support sections.

#4 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 28 March 2006 - 12:56 AM

Thanks, I actually did relist this question there, but I do appreciate the response, here even though I misslisted it. I didn't realize there WS a sound section untill someone brought it to my attention.

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio