#1 Mike Vetterick

Mike Vetterick

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:09 AM

I have just been asked to shoot next week in Europe and want to know what I'll need for power adaptors. I know that there are plug adaptors but am not sure if I'll also need voltage adaptors. I am working with a DVX-100a camera and shooting in Germany, Italy, and London.

Any advice would be extremely welcome. Thanks.

#2 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 22 March 2006 - 03:51 PM

I have just been asked to shoot next week in Europe and want to know what I'll need for power adaptors. I know that there are plug adaptors but am not sure if I'll also need voltage adaptors. I am working with a DVX-100a camera and shooting in Germany, Italy, and London.

What do the specifications for your current power supply / battery charger say? Does it allow both 60 Hz and 50 Hz. line frequency? What voltage(s)?

A nice informational website by Sanyo:

http://www.sanyo-ssm...s/advice02.html

#3 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:09 PM

You don't say where you are coming from but maybe you could get a european charger if you need one.
Europe is about 220/230 volts and 50hz. The plugs in the u.k. and Ireland are different from those on the mainland. Germany has standard european type sockets, and I guess Italy probably does too although I have never been there.

love

Freya

#4 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:35 PM

A nice informational website by Sanyo:

http://www.sanyo-ssm...s/advice02.html

Doesn't seem too acurate tho:

Things are further complicated by the color system problem. Japan and western Europe are both in the regional code 2 zone, but a Japanese NTSC DVD disc will not work in a French SECAM DVD player.

I would have thought this would work just fine!

People play NTSC discs in Europe all the time.

love

Freya

#5 Filip Plesha

Filip Plesha
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1267 posts
  • Other
  • Croatia

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:48 AM

I would have thought this would work just fine!

People play NTSC discs in Europe all the time.

I sometimes buy NTSC discs from US for titles that are not released in region 2, they work just fine on all my DVD's, which include an old first-generation Sony, a new one from some cheap brand that supports everything, and computer DVD. Works on all of them.
Also works on all TV's in my house.

Sometimes the regional blockade can be a problem, but a lot of the times region 1 DVD's play just fine on all my players, which is still a mistery to me.
In those cases where they won't play because of region, I have to "de-regionalise" them and burn them to two backup DVD's (because the files won't fit on one), and every time I want to watch it in original bit-rate I have to copy them back to my hard and watch them like that, then erase them later.
Of course, I pay for all of them, so its legit.

#6 Mike Vetterick

Mike Vetterick

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:17 PM

First thanks for the responses. I am coming from the US and have found the following information based upon your replies.

The AC adaptor shows an input of 100-240V~50-60hz. If I understand you correctly then all I should need is plug adaptors and not a transformer.

Something I just found out is that we are getting a lighting kit in Germany (Dusseldorf) but then using it in Rome, London, and Munich. Any idea if I will have problems with either plugs, voltage, or bulbs with using the same kit in all of the countries. I'm trying to avoid lamps exploding or starting fires.

Thanks,

Mike Vetterick
Marvette Productions
Orlando, Florida

#7 Delorme Jean-Marie

Delorme Jean-Marie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • paris, france

Posted 24 March 2006 - 04:55 AM

you will have only plug problems uk, germany and italy ARE differents plugs! europe is still a work in progress!! but you'll be able to by plugs in the same money it's a strat
welcome in europe enjoy

#8 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 March 2006 - 04:20 PM

Hi,

"The mainland"?

Despite the best efforts of the French, the UK is not an offshore island of some grand european empire.

Phil

Metropolis Post

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products