1 reply to this topic

#1 Ruby Gold

Ruby Gold
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Producer

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:18 PM

I've been using a Canon GL2 for all my shoots and want to keep that for B roll and upgrade to the Panasonic DVX100a or 100b. Hope you don't mind a few DVX newbie questions here, then.

First--how steep is the learning curve from a GL2 to the DVX cameras?

Second will the quality be so different on footage shot from the GL2 to the DVX100a or b that it will look too strange to edit the two together?

Third--I read the thread about the interval timer--which seems like a nice feature--any other thoughts on getting an a vs. b besides cost?

Last--anyone know a good dealer that still stocks new DVX100A's (B and H doesn't)?

thanks a lot for any help-
Ruby

#2 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:24 PM

DVX will be very strange to intercut. It is much much sharper than the GL (I am comparing to my experience with the GL-1, but I think they kept the imaging sensor the same between models) Also the GL has a weird color shift, almost like it cant quite compensate for the pixel shift on the red CCD.

If you want to intercut with them my advice is to first turn off the 24p feature and the cinegama (it would be better to turn both of those on the GL-2, but alas, impossible) and turn the detail down. Turn the detail up on your GL until its sharpening noise, then back it off so you still have a sharp image, but noise is minimal.

You may have to color shift a bit. Thankfully the DVX and the GL-2 both have color options. Use two reference monitors that are propperly set up so you can tell when they are getting close to eachother in terms of color and softness.

If you have already shot the B-roll, I would do set the DVX while watching the footage and try and approximate the look (remember to test with a similar frame with the same lighting.)

if its going to be a straight B-roll/A-roll type program, I wouldnt worry about the difference though. In many news type peices it is quite common to have the video quality much better for the interview than the B-roll. Thats because while an ENG crew may set lights for the interview, rarely will they light each shot of B-roll properly. Usually b-roll is lucky to get one light to bring the ambient levels up. It may seem a bit strange to you, but to the average viewer, they may not even notice.

The learning curve is pretty minimal. You have greater control in your matrixes and DSP, also you have more programible buttons (a dial with 5 positions sets the 'look' including the 24p option and all color matrix)

The biggest thing you will have to learn is the difference between 24p 'A' and 24p normal. (A is advanced and does not record with the 2:3 pull down the normal mode does. If you plan to edit with a computer I recomend A. Dailies will look odd at first, but when you pull out the 6 doubled frames for every second of video and put that through a better 2:3:3:2 pulldown you will have a much better result.)

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks