#1 Sam Care

Sam Care
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 25 March 2006 - 07:03 AM

Does anyone know somewhere in London where they hire Arri SR2 cameras with colour video assists? Is it even possible to put a colour video assist on one? All the SR2 cameras I've seen have had balck and white video taps.

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 25 March 2006 - 07:46 AM

Does anyone know somewhere in London where they hire Arri SR2 cameras with colour video assists? Is it even possible to put a colour video assist on one? All the SR2 cameras I've seen have had balck and white video taps.

Hi,

Colour video assists are available for an SR2. Don't expect it to be cheap! Try ArriMedia.

Stephen

#3 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:09 AM

Hi,

Colour video assists are available for an SR2. Don't expect it to be cheap! Try ArriMedia.

Stephen

what is the going rate in London for an SR2 rental? I am just going into production on a S16 short and found it much cheaper to shoot s16 rather than HD.
In answer to the posters question, yes it is possible and done all often, to have a color assist added. Jurgens or CEI are the common ones. They do add a good deal to the cost. If you don't mind the b&w tap, then go with that or not at all if you are really trying to save. :rolleyes:

#4 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:17 AM

what is the going rate in London for an SR2 rental? I am just going into production on a S16 short and found it much cheaper to shoot s16 rather than HD.
In answer to the posters question, yes it is possible and done all often, to have a color assist added. Jurgens or CEI are the common ones. They do add a good deal to the cost. If you don't mind the b&w tap, then go with that or not at all if you are really trying to save. :rolleyes:

Much to my disappointment, the Jurgens video taps for the Arriflex SR's are no longer being made and Jurgen's has no more stock left. Tried desperately to get one a month or so ago and even talked to "Mr. Jurgen" himself, turns out his shop is not far from where we live in Portland. But no dice.

Now maybe rental houses have them and can put one on a package if you're willing to pay the extra, but you can't buy them anymore. :(

-Tim

#5 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:59 AM

Hi,

I have not got any London rental prices with me but a good video assist will cost 1.5-2 times the cost of a SR2 body to rent.

Stephen

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:59 AM

Hi,

> found it much cheaper to shoot s16 rather than HD

Then you are doing something silly...

Phil

#7 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:07 AM

Hi,

> found it much cheaper to shoot s16 rather than HD

Then you are doing something silly...

Phil

Phil,

I depends on the length of the shoot and the amount of stock you are going to use.

Stephen

#8 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:57 AM

I did a price comparison a couple of years ago and found that s16 was indeed cheaper as long as I shot less than 10 rolls of stock. After that, HD got progressively cheaper.

#9 Joshua Reis

Joshua Reis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 March 2006 - 03:24 AM

There are a couple of companies manufacturing color video assists for SR I and SR 2 cameras. Yes, unfortunately Jurgens is all out of SR videotaps, many which consider to be the best (I purchased the last one four months ago). Visual Products in Ohio has their own viteotap unit (www.visualproducts.com. Lee Utterback (http://www.lucamera.com) in San Francisco makes a J-bar design. And in Europe P+S technik has their SR Evolution Video Assist which is very good, but the priciest. http://www.pstechnik.de

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport