andres victorero
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:12 AM

Hi, we are a group of people that made shortfilms, docs, etc :rolleyes:

well I´m looking for a cheap 35 mm camera tath we can use in the next projects.
I saw a cameflex CM3, Konvas M2, arri 35 II ... I´m looking for some light in my doubts... wich camera is better?
We want no rent actual cameras (very expensive and hard to find in my city) so we want buy a affordable 35 mm. camera, yes I know that are loud but I,m a DP :D

thanks in advance. ;)

#2 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:08 AM

I saw a cameflex CM3, Konvas M2, arri 35 II ... I´m looking for some light in my doubts... wich camera is better?
We want no rent actual cameras (very expensive and hard to find in my city) so we want buy a affordable 35 mm. camera, yes I know that are loud but I,m a DP :D

thanks in advance. ;)

My choice was to buy an Arri 2. It is not too hard to find a good one. They're easy to hand hold with 200' magazines, for tripod work you will need an Arri 2 tripod mount, either a tophat or some sort of flat base adapter. There are a lot of accessories available on the Internet. To use the latest lenses you can get a PL hardfront installed, replacing the original turret, for about $1500 US. The earliest Arri 2's used a different film pull down mechanism, the later 2B and all 2C's cardiod claw is preferred by many. Without a blimp they are most definitely a MOS camera - when I run mine in the house all three of my cats run for their life.

#3 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:29 AM

thanks in advance. ;)

If theres a choice then I would go with the cameflex or the arri. The Konvas thing is just a really low budget thing. Great lenses but lots of issues with things like motors and people shipping you cameras in a cardboard box with a bit of newspaper in it! :)

I'd probably lean towards the Arri actually, because theres more knowledge around about it and the possibility that you could get help locally if something goes bad.

love

Freya

#4 Thomas Worth

Thomas Worth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 April 2006 - 03:10 AM

To use the latest lenses you can get a PL hardfront installed, replacing the original turret, for about $1500 US.

People always compare the Konvas and Arri 2, but I don't think it's a good comparison since they are so far apart in terms of price. For example, the $1500 PL mount conversion you refer to would pay for a complete Konvas camera with a crystal sync motor. Adding a PL mount to a Konvas can be as cheap as $300. To get an Arri 2 up to the same level as a Konvas 2M (PL mount, crystal sync motor) would cost you three, maybe four times as much.

And then there's the issue of lenses. So, you've got a PL mount Arri 2, but now what about lenses? Chances are you'd have to rent / insure them, which is not something you'd want to do if you just want to buy some short ends and run around town shooting stuff for fun. Good Konvas OCT-19 mount lenses can be had for around $250 - $300 a piece. I've got a 50mm T1.5 and 75mm T1.6 that I paid about $200 each for. You can see what they look like on my web site, by the way: http://rarevision.com.

The Konvas is great. Keep in mind that the biggest factors in determining image quality are optics and film stock, not the camera.

#5 andres victorero

andres victorero
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:11 PM

The Konvas is great. Keep in mind that the biggest factors in determining image quality are optics and film stock, not the camera.

yes i saw the footage and is amazig. thanks to all ;)

one question more, wich is the quietest camera of the 3 options?

Edited by andres victorero, 07 April 2006 - 02:13 PM.

#6 jvfante

jvfante

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Santa Barbara, CA. USA

Posted 07 April 2006 - 04:08 PM

I know from first-hand experience that it's fun to own the gear, but why not go to your local rental house and ask for a student or low-budget deal on a rental? Even in smaller markets, there are rental houses (or local DoP's) that have 35BL's, Moviecams and Arri 3's that are sitting on their shelves gathering dust. Most rental houses will let you have a package for a student or spec project for next to nothing, if you talk to them about it. Don't be afraid to ask.

I've been surprised more than once that vendors would rather have their gear working than not. In the long run, it makes good business sense to them as well since you will more than likely come back again as you build your career.

Best of luck.

JVFante

#7 Alex Haspel

Alex Haspel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • vienna, austria

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:21 AM

I know from first-hand experience that it's fun to own the gear, but why not go to your local rental house and ask for a student or low-budget deal on a rental? Even in smaller markets, there are rental houses (or local DoP's) that have 35BL's, Moviecams and Arri 3's that are sitting on their shelves gathering dust. Most rental houses will let you have a package for a student or spec project for next to nothing, if you talk to them about it. Don't be afraid to ask.

I've been surprised more than once that vendors would rather have their gear working than not. In the long run, it makes good business sense to them as well since you will more than likely come back again as you build your career.

Best of luck.

JVFante

exactly my experience too.

#8 Thibaut de Chemellier

Thibaut de Chemellier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris

Posted 16 April 2006 - 03:32 PM

Hi,
Eclair Cameflex is a very noisy camera but you can do so much with it that you just can't do with the Arri or the Konvas !!!

- 360° rotating Viewfinder
- Shutter angle from 200° to 15° or 180° to 5°!!!
- Depending on the type of cameflex you can shoot 4-perfs (35mm academy, Super 35mm or Scope), 2-perfs (techniscope), 16mm or S16mm with modification or even 3-perfs Super 35 with modification (very very rare)?.did I forget something here!?!
-Instant changing magazines: 120m, 60m or 30m which is very very small !!!

Video tap is easier with the Arri but possible and like the Arri there are many motors available including quartz motor (TCS TXM-21C) or single frame or even handcranck and can be modified to PL mount or Nikon?

#9 Jon-Hebert Barto

Jon-Hebert Barto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 April 2006 - 07:37 PM

All of 'em are noisey beasts! Go with the Konvas unless you want a variable shutter. Most Konvas 2M packages come with a set of primes and a zoom. They are decent glass and capable of taking comparable/same images as any other camera. Like Thomas said, a camera just holds and moves the film, which is important , but image quality is about film stock, proper exposure, optics and processing. The price is always right with a Konvas, just do some backround checks before buying online. Also, try to get one with more of the 400ft mags as they don't need an adapter for the core. Loading one can be a pain but I've heard that if you practice it doesn't take long to master. Most salad is made by lazy people...

Hell, if you find a good price on any of these cameras and they are in good pre-sale condition, go for it. I say pre-sale because there is no such thing as "like new" with these old cameras. Even if someone says they just shot great looking footage with it you should still get it checked and give it a tune-up right when you get it...A few thousand dollars is a lot of money for anything but buying a camera should still be a fun process! Don't get too crazy over the camera details because these three aren't that much different that you have a coronary over it...

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Opal

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

The Slider

CineTape