Jaffa5

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Director

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:58 PM

Hello there gentlemen!

First of forgive me for starting this thread, i have looked at the others, (and have done so hard) but found myself more confused than er enlightened.

In anycase, I stay in the UK, but am travelling to NYC in April, so in my infinite wisdom I've thought to bring back either an XL-2 or the DVX100b.

So first point really being, can you chaps recommend a good retailer that sells both or either of these cameras in NYC with PAL versions? B&H of course do PAL XL2's,

Right well I want to make short films and features, and I've made quite a few already, (shorts that is) and those were on the PD-170 and the XL1s however.

Ultimately I want to be able to make finished video works, look more like film but for viewing on the small screen. (This makes economic sense if that is the way the work would be viewed lol whatever u film nuts say, tho i do have a K3 hehe)

My budget is not excessive, I can afford at a stretch the XL2, but sadly cannot afford the luxury of purchasing that namely advantage of multiple lenses. I'm not fussy either about the manner of the layout (the xl was fine and i presume the panasonic to be easier.)

What im mostly concerned about is the image, and what both cameras can do to manipulate the image. (It's okay i can handle the lighting, the 'everything else' which theoritically makes film look like film) its just technically the image.

Beause the native 16:9 ratio for the xl2 sounds great, and its slightly higher resolution is vaunted... but then the dvx has this er 'magical' element that is much vaunted also, in relation to its gamma and film cine like controls. I read the reviews at DVXuser of course and others... and for an indie filmmaker im slightly more keen on the dvx but unwary of the 'extent' of its control over imaging in comparison to the XL2.

Preferably I wouldnt have to treat footage so much with magic bullet cos that in post takes ages and if time like that could be reduced in camera then 'yey'

Um, im rambling (but more info helps right?)

Typical set up for my low budget film would be,

thee camera
Lighting Kit (redheads, stands)
microphone & fishpole + dat
maybe some lavaliers

So it juuuust needs to fit in that setup lol (that little low budget 'film' setup. Money is an issue of course too...

In anycase chaps, help would be very much appreciated (i can expand if need be on any info of course)

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Opal