Saba Mazloum
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • China

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:01 AM

Hey guys,
I hear that you can ramp with eh HVX with different frame rates.
My real question is this, can i somehow shoot in revers, so when im in FCP captuering in 24f, it will be entirly in revers? Thanks.. Sorry if this is a ignorant question..

Saba

#2 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:35 AM

No, sadly you cannot do a real ramp. A true ramp is built on timming of below 1fps. The varicam can do this, where it times itself off a varying clock. The 200, from what I understand can do ramps between 4fps and somehting like 60fps (not sure of the actual number) but thats in like 20 steps (more than 1fps varience between steps) and mroe importanly there seems to be no way to change it on the fly. Like the DVX-100A when you change frame ratest the camera goes through a lengthy (2-4seconds) change over, eliminating the possibility of an on-the-fly changeover.

thats the bad news.

The good news is that time remap in post has been possible for as long as I have been in the business (I am very young, I cant recall a time without computers) Time remap basicly selects which frames are used in the final output, and blends the rest. It does this based on a mathematical input that you provide. This lets you do ramps with infanantly variable presets. You can also time your remaps to hit certain points of action. If you want the film to hit full slow mo at a certain point of action (say a punch or explosion) it is possible to define down to the frame where that happens. (much more control than a physical camera timming unit) the problem is that since it is dropping frames, everything is shot somewhere at 1/60sec at full 360 degree shutter. that means that if you do a time re-map, in effect you are changing the shutter angle as the, something I dont think a proper ramp would have. Its not a big deal, but understand at the beginning of the remap you will have the effect of a 270-300 degree shutter and end up with a 360 degree shutter (of course this depends on your settings, but apparent shutter angle will change over time) as long as you understand and plan for this, you will be fine.

use programs like after effects to do the remap.

#3 Julianthebruce

Julianthebruce

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Other
  • North Vancouver B.C.

Posted 27 March 2006 - 12:41 PM

hey... is this Saba from capilano college? Anyway, a ramp is when a camera changes from one frame rate to another, unfortunatly the HVX200 can only shoot in multiple frame rates. this means that once you choose one frame rate, you cannot change to another, without stoping the recording. The HVX cannot record in any sort of reverse mode either. you can simpily reverse the footage once in final cut pro altho.

#4 4mat

4mat
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:16 PM

You can however do a very very nice reel ramp in twixtor with 60/50p HVX footage.
I'm picking my HVX up tomorrow so watch this space.
-matt

#5 Saba Mazloum

Saba Mazloum
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • China

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:41 PM

aiight cool.. u buying one or renting one?

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Glidecam

Opal

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

CineLab