New source for super 8 cameras

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Skates

Robert Skates
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 10:15 AM

Well here goes. I have created a website wherein I will be selling used and reconditioned super 8 cameras.

Although I've been posting for a while I've never really provided any details about myself. I am a cinematographer and former union camera assitant. Most of my time over the last several years has been spent teaching cinematography. Super 8 has been a hobby that I have, on occasion, been able to use in my professional work and in the classroom.

As a cinematography/film production instructor, I rely primarly on 16mm as a teaching tool. I've had some success in integrating super 8 as a creative tool. Invariably I have students that are impressed enough to purchase a camera of their own. Like most of us that enjoy this forum, they log on to ebay. As it is one of the few sources of super 8 cameras, my students often look there for their first super 8 camera. More often than not my students end up with a camera that is less than fully functional or DOA. My website grew out a desire to provide functioning, fully tested cameras without the guess work and finger crossing associated with buying cameras on ebay.

Take a look at my website and let me know what you think.

Robert Skates

http://www.sk8scamera.com/

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:29 AM

Will you be making a distinction between cameras that check out fine without being opened up versus cameras that do get opened up? Or will all cameras be opened up?

#3 Robert Skates

Robert Skates
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:58 AM

Will you be making a distinction between cameras that check out fine without being opened up versus cameras that do get opened up? Or will all cameras be opened up?

Alex,
The reconditioned cameras are all opened up, disassembled, cleaned, lubricated, and repaired as needed. They are then tested with film and the results are evaluated and posted. The pre-owned cameras are not opened up. They undergo a testing and evaluation process plus the film test as well.

Robert Skates

#4 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:45 PM

Alex,
The reconditioned cameras are all opened up, disassembled, cleaned, lubricated, and repaired as needed. They are then tested with film and the results are evaluated and posted. The pre-owned cameras are not opened up. They undergo a testing and evaluation process plus the film test as well.

Robert Skates

Thanks for clearing that up. I think it's great that you can open up cameras and bring them back up to life.

As was discussed a couple of weeks ago, cameras that are merely tested without being opened up may not be worth the trouble selling. A suggestion. If someone buys a pre-owned camera and then returns it and you find the hassle is not worth it, consider a scenario where someone can trade up to a re-conditioned camera.

Although that could come off as a scam to lure people in cheaply and then force them to buy a more expensive camera.

I think Super-8 cameras have reached the age where even if they test out OK they still could have internal voltage irregularities and require re-application of lubrication.

#5 Brant Collins

Brant Collins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Producer
  • Little Rock, Arkansas

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:42 AM

Nice site. I like the image of the test screen but would also like to see a clip of footage shot with the camera.

#6 Giles Perkins

Giles Perkins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 12:49 PM

Agreed Alex, I have a Nizo 801 which is as new in almost imaculate condition (unused before I got it) but its a nightmare to use as it has alsorts of lightmeter issues. Shame 'cos it looks sooo beautiful!

#7 Matt Pacini

Matt Pacini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:37 PM

Nice site.

Good move having photos of the two best Super 8 cameras on the home page; the Nikon R-10 and the Nizo 6080!

How tough is it to get inside of an R-10?
It looks impossible without screwing up that vinyl siding.

MP

#8 Robert Skates

Robert Skates
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 06:38 AM

Thanks one and all for the comments/advice. I agree Matt. The Nikon R10 and Nizo 4080/6080 are my favorite cameras as well. The two on my home page are my personal cameras that go out in my kit. I have not yet cracked open the R10. I got lucky and found a mint one. If I can find a completely dead R10 I'll set about disassembling it. I do not want to take any chances with the one I have.

Starting the website has given me a great excuse to buy an example of all the super 8 cameras I have ever wanted. The Nikon R10 IMHO is one of the most well built cameras. There seem to have been no cost cutting between design / engineering / manufacture. I always thought Beaulieu cut some corners on the engineering / manufacture end of things. The beaulieu had great design though, and are fine cameras. My favorite design is the Nizo. The Dieter Rams era at braun producd some wonderful work.

Robert Skates

#9 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:34 AM

It would be interesting if the super-8 cameras that were not really designed to be opened up easily could just be strategically cut open and then the opening be replaced by a "hatch". This would make the camera easier to work on in the future. The assumption I'm going on is that one side or the other of the camera would provide one easier access to the critical components that need servicing, so installing a hatch could be an interesting way to go.

I suppose the downside to this idea is it would make it real easy for the camera owner to poke around and possibly mess something up.

#10 Rupe Whiteman

Rupe Whiteman
  • Sustaining Members
  • 336 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 March 2006 - 12:12 PM

Take a look at my website and let me know what you think.

Robert Skates

[/quote]

...Liked the look of the site... will you be getting hold of any Beaulieu or Leicina's?

good luck with it...

Rupe Whiteman

#11 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:04 AM

Thanks one and all for the comments/advice. I agree Matt. The Nikon R10 and Nizo 4080/6080 are my favorite cameras as well. The two on my home page are my personal cameras that go out in my kit. I have not yet cracked open the R10. I got lucky and found a mint one. If I can find a completely dead R10 I'll set about disassembling it. I do not want to take any chances with the one I have.

Starting the website has given me a great excuse to buy an example of all the super 8 cameras I have ever wanted. The Nikon R10 IMHO is one of the most well built cameras. There seem to have been no cost cutting between design / engineering / manufacture. I always thought Beaulieu cut some corners on the engineering / manufacture end of things. The beaulieu had great design though, and are fine cameras. My favorite design is the Nizo. The Dieter Rams era at braun producd some wonderful work.

Robert Skates

This is you lucky day. There's one on ebay Item number: 7605547012 starting at 20 bucks. if this'll help ya.
:D

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

CineLab