Another Plus X exposure query

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Retrogorilla

Retrogorilla
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:57 AM

I'd like to shoot a roll of Plus X with my Bauer, but can't yet get my head wrapped around the necessary manual exposure compensation levels due to the camera's inabilty to auto register anything besides 40/160 film speeds.

I know the 64T requires something around a half to full stop difference, but what about the B&W Plus stock??

#2 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:56 PM

The camera will actually recognize 4 speeds... 40T/25D, 160T/100D so it will read fine.

#3 Rick Palidwor

Rick Palidwor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Director

Posted 26 March 2006 - 10:11 PM

Retrogorilla, assuming you are using the new plus X, rated as 80 under tungsten light (it used to be rated at 40), you have to determine whether the camera thinks the Plus X is 40 or 160 - does it depress the little pin or not? If it depresses the pin, the camera will think it's 40 and you need to underexpose one stop from the reading. If it DOES NOT depress the pin the camera will think it's 160, so you OVEREXPOSE one stop from the reading.

If shooting under daylight (film rated at 100), follow the same procedure but then underexpose slightly from what you would have done under tungsten.

The camera will actually recognize 4 speeds... 40T/25D, 160T/100D so it will read fine.

Sktrach I think you are confusing the "filter factor" into this. This camera only reads 2 speeds - 40T/25D or 160T/100D. Colour film stocks commonly have two ratings, one without colour correction filter, one WITH colour correction filter (always lower: for example, 40T and 25D. It's a convenience. If you were using an external light meter, you'd rate the film as 25 to compensate for the filter factor whenever you engage the filter. On a super 8 camera, if you are using the internal meter, these revised ratings are immaterial. The internal meter factors in the filter. With the camera in auto exposure, engage and disengage the filter a few times, and watch the light reading change about a third of a stop each time.

Rick

#4 S8 Booster

S8 Booster
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Other
  • retired

Posted 27 March 2006 - 02:54 AM

the plusX cart is correctly notched for 100(D) so if your cam is designed according to spec the film speed is set to 100D in auto mode.

the cart slot for film speed is the same as for a 160/100 tungsten cart but when the filter notch is none the film speed is set to 100(D) and the built in 85 filter is disabled.

the example below is describing how the vision2 200T cart from kodak is incorrectly notched for 100(D) rather than 160(D)/100(D). the difference is the filter notch. everything else is identical.
[for ref: the same filter notch error goes for the 500T cart disabling the built in 85 filter thus setting it to 250(D) - IF your camera is correctly designed - for those cams which can read those speeds]

sum: your cam should have no problem to read the plusX cart correctly in daylight but should be tuned a bit for tungsten shoot (EI 80) (+1/3 stop should do). check if your cam has a exposure compensation dial. will easily take care of this.

NOTE: FOR THE PLUS X THERE SHOULD BE NO OPEN FILTER NOTCH. DO NOT OPEN IT. THIS INFORMATION VALID FOR THE VISION2 200T & 500T CARTRIDGES - ONLY SHOWN HERE TO VISUALIZE THE PRINCIPLE OF OPERATION AND THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE 160T/100D CART AND PURE 100D CART (PLUX) SETTING.:

for reference: from previous posts on the V200T cart notch error:

here is what you need to do to make the cam read the cart as 160/100:

this is where the filter notch is located - open it and the cam is allowed to read it as either 160 for tungetsen (when the built in 85 filter is disabled) or 100 with the filter in place for daylight shoot.

Click images for bigger size:

Posted Image

how to mod and why:
Posted Image

s8hôôt

s8hôôt

Edited by S8 Booster, 27 March 2006 - 03:03 AM.

#5 Retrogorilla

Retrogorilla
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:09 PM

OK - Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

I think I'm beginning to understand the dillio a bit better now.

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Technodolly

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks