Really old collector cameras

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 01:39 PM

On e-Bay not too long ago I won a Cine-Kodak Model B camera and then a Model BB. They are different inside from later cameras. Film seems to be wound inside out? Anyway, I've been thinking of actually trying to use them with film.
Instructions for the use of the Model B do not give much in the way of lens/shutter speeds or even running speeds. You need to figure it out from what IS given.
Have any other filmmakers used cameras like these or these specific ones? Is it worth the trouble?
They look like fun.
What kind of old 16mm camera did you use?
I've used the 50 ft magazine loading Kodaks and Bell & Howells, an Auricon optical SOF, Keystones A7&9 and a Cine-Kodak Special I.

Michael Carter
in Pittsburgh PA

#2 Bryan Darling

Bryan Darling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Director
  • Sacramento, CA

Posted 26 March 2006 - 07:06 PM

I have a circa 1923 Cine-Kodak Model A. I was lucky enough to get a guy at the George Eastman House to scan me a copy of the old manual. There's no reason why you can't use these cameras. The difficult part is if they require double-perf film. The choices in double-perf have dwindles significantly over the last couple years. There's a couple Vision2 stocks and Plus-X reversal. However the Plus-X is special order with a min of (18) 100' rolls. The Kodak catalog was last updated in 2004, although the online version has an early 2005 date on it. The catalog will show quite a few filmstocks available in double-perf as well as discontinued stocks so you can't use it for accuracy. I called Kodak and essentially went through the catalog to update it myself.

Really the only way to go is just to experiment, through a roll of film in and go. I recommend starting with reversal because it's easy to see the results without having to do a telecine or a print and it's fun the just through it up with the projector.

B-

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Tai Audio

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Opal