#1 justinbrown

justinbrown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Maidenhead, UK

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:59 PM

How does Conrad L Hall achieve his "Bleeding Heart" effect on the walls in Road to Perdition?
Justin

#2 EricUlbrich

EricUlbrich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Orange, CA

Posted 06 April 2006 - 04:51 AM

Hehehe, well that actually was an accident from a previous film that he did called "In Cold Blood." Watch visions of light and I think he explains it...kinda. Its like a strong backlight through the window which highlights the rain from the glass. Then I think the rain doesnt really rain, it kinda drips down the glass. Do some tests, see what happens.

#3 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:13 PM

I remember some years back seeing a movie on TV of the life of Nostradamus. In one scene he gives a prophetic reading to his patron, Catherine de Medici, where blood pours down the walls from the ceiling, and he says to her "you will outlive all your children". How did they get the room to bleed?

#4 carl spring

carl spring
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Other
  • England UK/ London

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:29 PM

Hehehe, well that actually was an accident from a previous film that he did called "In Cold Blood." Watch visions of light and I think he explains it...kinda. Its like a strong backlight through the window which highlights the rain from the glass. Then I think the rain doesnt really rain, it kinda drips down the glass. Do some tests, see what happens.

"visions of light" is an excellent doc on cinematography, you can really get some nice insights to the way some of the cinematographers feel about their own and others work, so very passionate and knowledgable a real motivator for all cinematographers and film makers. very much worth a watch. :rolleyes:

#5 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:23 PM

You need a sharp light source to provide a crisp shadow. Something big and far away. If your light source is too focused and spotty (like a par) it won't give a crisp shadow.

#6 chuck colburn

chuck colburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Other
  • orygun

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:24 PM

You need a sharp light source to provide a crisp shadow. Something big and far away. If your light source is too focused and spotty (like a par) it won't give a crisp shadow.

Yeah that's right. A bare bulb.

#7 Carlos_Martinez

Carlos_Martinez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Student
  • Chicago

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:33 AM

"visions of light" is an excellent doc on cinematography, you can really get some nice insights to the way some of the cinematographers feel about their own and others work, so very passionate and knowledgable a real motivator for all cinematographers and film makers. very much worth a watch. :rolleyes:

x2 ive been meaning to buy it. But have seen it at least 10 times courtesy of my teacher.

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Opal

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC