#1 Scott Rickels

Scott Rickels

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:14 PM

I wanted to find out if 16mm prints are made on double perf or single perf? I want to project on an old silent Bell and Howell projector and was curious if there would be any issues trying to project recently printed film on it.

Scott

#2 Alain LeTourneau

Alain LeTourneau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, Oregon USA

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:55 PM

I wanted to find out if 16mm prints are made on double perf or single perf? I want to project on an old silent Bell and Howell projector and was curious if there would be any issues trying to project recently printed film on it.

Scott

It's all the same, nothing much has changed. Of course, some projectors are better than others and with
the cost of keeping a good 16mm projector around there's really no reason to use shitty projectors.

Alain

#3 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:32 PM

Scott

SOUND prints are always on Single perf film, so a Sound projector can handle either. Some have a "silent" switch which slows things down to 16/18 fps.

Their are also SILENT projectors, although most of them are form the 20s and 30s as 16mm Home movies became rare once 8mm was introduced. These were generaly disgned with the assumption that double perf would be used. I have an Old "excel" made in Chiago that has the Pull down claw on what is now the Soundtrack side of the film. (which worked out well, most of the damage that unit caused to the films that came with it is on the perfs that I never need to use.) the silent machines also often have double perf sprokets and may need the asbestos power code replaced....

I understand that the Kodaks and the RCA units are known for being gentle on film. The victors and the late movie mites have trip switches to stop the machine if there is a lost loop, although the movie mite passes the film very close to the motor housing as it come out the gate.

I never was fond of the autoloads, so I don't have any to rate.

(your not really showing a film if you don't have to thread the projector)

#4 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:56 PM

Certainly any 16mm sound projector will be single perf (print film with 1R-3000 perfs). I doubt that any 16mm projector after the mid-1930s used double sprockets (2R-3000 perfs). Just look.

#5 Ronald H. Green

Ronald H. Green

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other
  • Delray Beach, Florida

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:09 AM

When I went to college, I worked in the new department of a televison station and film everything from local news to some documentaries.

Unfortunately, my projector is broken.  I have a Kalart-Victor 90-25 16mm sound projector.  The projector need a pull-down-claw and it is impossible to find.  Would anyone have this part or know some repair places where I can find this part?

Also, looking for a good manual thread projector at a reasonable cost.

Thank you ahead of time for your responce.

Regards,

Ron Green

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11941 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:06 AM

I have a 16mm projector in the shed. I'd have to double check the type, but it's a reasonably upscale one with a xenon lamp.

P

#7 Charlie Peich

Charlie Peich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

When I went to college, I worked in the new department of a televison station and film everything from local news to some documentaries.

Unfortunately, my projector is broken.  I have a Kalart-Victor 90-25 16mm sound projector.  The projector need a pull-down-claw and it is impossible to find.  Would anyone have this part or know some repair places where I can find this part?

Also, looking for a good manual thread projector at a reasonable cost.

Thank you ahead of time for your responce.

Regards,

Ron Green

Try this forum. Kalart-Victor collectors there. Also ask the forum moderator.

http://16mmfilmtalk.com/

#8 steve waschka

steve waschka
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Indian Harbour Beach, FL

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:16 PM

agree on the auto thread. Skip it if you can. Ruined more leader footage that ran into the gate and folded or images when it slipped midway. More surface area to scratch the image as well. Best loading projector i owned was an old keystone with flip up sprocket shields. Just recommend you relamp the old stuff if you go that way. 500w of incandescent will melt film like butter in a hot frying pan when your brain slips a gear and you dont go thru the proper stop procedure. And it will happen. Oh and there are better optics out there for 16. But there are also more crappy ones too.

Edited by steve waschka, 19 July 2014 - 12:19 PM.

#9 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:25 PM

Might be easier to just buy a new projector. I can recommend the Kodak Pageant, relatively lightweight, easy to thread, gentle film transport. They're plentiful and crazy cheap on eBay.

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine