• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Rupe Whiteman

Rupe Whiteman
  • Sustaining Members
  • 336 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:36 PM

I've got a 16mm pop promo coming up and I've just received an animatic of the idea. Loosely based on Godards' Breathless, it involves a car journey seqeunce that lasts about a minute that goes from night to day.

- Now obviously it would make sense to shoot it chronologically, but seeing how much they want packed into the shoot as a whole I'm nervous about running out of time and getting into the wrong 'time of light' (ie daytime) before enough night-footage is in the can (int/ext car, drive by's, gvs etc) and to get a good and subtle sense of the transition from night to day - I want to stay in control as much as I can!

: I'm thinking about starting off with the low key/dimly-lit car against brighter available light sources from street-lights, neons, car-lights etc, then using kino's (on the car interiors/passengers) gradually made brighter to bring up the exposure against the available light until they 'match' as daylight finally arrives. I know I can build up the sense of time passing with cutaways of city lights fading against the dawn's early light and car head-lights switching on then off, but I want the effect to be subtle and wonder what exactly to do with the exposure side of things. Has anyone shot something similar to this or any ideas?

I'll probably use a 500t stock rated at 1000asa to begin. Should I dev the neg as normal or push process it to get more out of it - or will I get enough shadow/highlight detail ? I was trained on film but have shot on tape for the last 4 years and feel a little ring-rusty. shooting on film really excites me but waiting for neg to be dev'd gives me the shits!

The final cut is going to be graded black and white but I wanted to use colour stock to choose a tinted hue in post. I was also thinking of starting with tungsten tubes on the kinos then switching to a daylight/tungsten mix, then finally all daylight tubes. I've not tried this before have you?

I'd be interested to hear some opinions from out in there...

Rupe Whiteman

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks