#1 Julius Sokolowski

Julius Sokolowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Student
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:33 PM

This is the deal. I want to sync a multitrack audio recording with multicamera video recording. The general idea is to take a LTC signal into one of the tracks in each camera... Then in a NLE i want to use this TC instead of the tapes original TC... Any ideas ?

The reason is that I don't know what kind of camera gear will be used, so I want to make it independent of the camera gear...

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:22 PM

This is the deal. I want to sync a multitrack audio recording with multicamera video recording. The general idea is to take a LTC signal into one of the tracks in each camera... Then in a NLE i want to use this TC instead of the tapes original TC... Any ideas ?

The reason is that I don't know what kind of camera gear will be used, so I want to make it independent of the camera gear...

It would be useful to know what your actual video recording format is.

I'll assume it's mini-dv as that is the most annoying format when to deal with when it comes to time-code manipulation. I think you need to use a DSR-45 or more expensive video machine to properly do it in NLE, and you will need to of them.

You make firewire dubs of your camera originals, but you would run the audio channel out from the source deck to the "LTC in" of the second DV deck, which would be set to external time-code. (I think this only works in DV-CAM so beware).

The result would be second generation mini-dv dubs that have time-code from the audio channel of the first generation tape. Now, the trick is, can you import these tapes using this inconsistent time-code into the computer environment?

Has this discontinuous repeating time-code issue been addressed by final cut pro? As I recall, as of a year or so ago FCP would either generate new code whenever it came across a time-code break, or stop and re-preroll at each time-code change, the new problem being that if the mini-dv was pre-rolled too far, it could roll back into the previous takes time-code and rewind back to the beginning of the previous take.
This could prove a disaster if the tape builds up any speed and does not stop in time.

If you try this method, I recommend pre-rolling your scenes for 15-20 seconds before the director yells action and post rolling them 5-10 seconds, this might prevent the computer from rewinding too far everytime it stops because of a time-code jump. Because your time-code numbers will be repeating you MUST PREVENT the computer from pre-rolling the videotapes too far as it will be a bit of a mess as the video decks will go into high speed rewind mode and perhaps not stop itself in time as it searches for a repeating time-code number.

Most definitely, try the entire process with ONE camera ahead of time before your multiple camera shoot.

CineLab

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products