#1 Frankieplus

Frankieplus

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:48 AM

Does anyone know if this camera is capable of an almost instant start record/button on speed?

The camera seems to start recording around 3-4 seconds after I press the 'start' button on the lens (as do most cameras) I'd like to change this if possible.

I saw an old DSR250p today and the botton on speed was instant! As soon as you press the button it's -bang- instant record at that split second. I can't help thinking that if the DSR250 can do it then why can't the DSR450?

Could there be something in the menu for this?

Secondly, I was thinking of setting my VTR standby/off timer to 5mins rather than the default 1 min. Am worried that this is going to wear my heads away a lot quicker. Should I be concerned?

-Frankie

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:54 AM

Does anyone know if this camera is capable of an almost instant start record/button on speed?

The camera seems to start recording around 3-4 seconds after I press the 'start' button on the lens (as do most cameras) I'd like to change this if possible.

I saw an old DSR250p today and the botton on speed was instant! As soon as you press the button it's -bang- instant record at that split second. I can't help thinking that if the DSR250 can do it then why can't the DSR450?

Could there be something in the menu for this?

Secondly, I was thinking of setting my VTR standby/off timer to 5mins rather than the default 1 min. Am worried that this is going to wear my heads away a lot quicker. Should I be concerned?
-Frankie

Hi,

Are the heard in save mode? flick the switch to standby and you should get a virtually instant start.

Your heads will wear faster, but I don't think that will be a big issue.

Stephen

#3 Peter J DeCrescenzo

Peter J DeCrescenzo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 620 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR, USA www.peterdv.com Blog: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/

Posted 30 March 2006 - 02:50 PM

Hi Frankie: To the best of my knowledge, the only feature which affects the DSR-450WSL's record start-up time is the "STBY OFF TIMER" setting in the Maintenance menu. Setting it to a value higher than the 1 minute default, such as 3 or 5 minutes, will result in the cam going into standby mode less often (at longer intervals). Depending on how often you put the cam into record mode, this may result in a faster record start-up time.

My previous cam was a DSR-250, and its record start-up time was about a second -- same as the DSR-450WSL if it hasn't gone into standby mode.

There are some cams which feature solid-state memory buffers to enable instant record start-up times, or to continuously record the several seconds previous to when the record button is pressed (so they're never missed), but the DSR-450WSL and DSR-250 don't have this feature.

Glidecam

CineTape

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Opal