#1 Aleksa

Aleksa

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:49 PM

well, hi to all, i`m new at this forum and a newbie at movie making, anyhow i have a dilemma/question, and i hope some of you guys can help me out

is it better to temper with picture via DV camera remote controler (gamma,colour correction...etc) or can the same effect in gamma and colour be achived in Adobe`s After Effect????

in my own opinion i think that is always better to temper with pictures gamma and colour grading in post, but hey that`s only me

Edited by Aleksa, 01 April 2006 - 01:55 PM.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:36 PM

It's an age-old argument, the primary issues being how good is the processing inside the camera and how much compression / color-subsampling is applied to the recording. For example, if you could record a raw uncompressed 4:4:4 signal from the camera, then it would make sense to do any gamma and color processing in post. But there is a good argument for doing as much as you can in-camera when recording to a highly compressed format like Mini-DV; but then, you may have problems should you change your mind in post if a strong look is baked into the recording. So there isn't an obvious answer other than to say "it just depends" -- some post techniques are less artifacty than others. It seems that if the post technique you want to do involves throwing away some information, you may have fewer problems than a technique that involves enhancing or trying to increase a certain amount of information (it's hard to create information that wasn't recorded).

#3 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:29 PM

Yes, first question should be : what camera are you working with ?, then, to remember that working in post has limits and is not looseless.

The better the information you have at the first step, the better will be the job in post. If you want major "special" effects, getting as close as possible at the shooting will help the post a lot. But the shooting should let the ability of working with what was done in a certain range.

Also, something that should be very difficult to get on the shot though easy to do in post should be left for post.

#4 Aleksa

Aleksa

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 02 April 2006 - 07:16 AM

Thank you David and Laurent for your reply, guess i`ll have to figure it out wich proces woks out best for me

Thank you again

Edited by Aleksa, 02 April 2006 - 07:18 AM.

#5 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 April 2006 - 03:24 PM

It's debated, actually. My thought is usually to do as much in-camera as possible to achieve your desired look. The other school of thought is to shoot a clean, neutral picture without blowing out highlights, blocking up shadows, etc. and then to use postproduction to create the look.

Note, however, that some of my opinion may be a product of working in film school where someone less-than-skilled may be doing the post-production work. For this reason, I prefer to get my final image in camera if possible and not give that person a chance to screw it up.

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Opal

CineLab

Abel Cine

The Slider