R T Humes

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 April 2006 - 03:06 PM

...but starting is hard.

i know film. i know how it works. i know that my own composition gets a lot of attention and a lot of praise from local talent. but i don't know where to go from here. LA is expensive and so is NY. it's all about who you know, and i don't seem to know anyone.

i'm a mobile unit...a student graduating in May with little to lose or leave behind. i have a small reel to show and a lot of ideas partially scripted. i guess what i am looking for is a director/producer that wants to take a chance and let a "novice" take a serious seat on their production. i could do it. direct, or shoot, or script even though the camera is what i want to control. it's all just a matter of finding a production in need.

i've lived through film all my life. it's what i've always wanted to do. i have been on local shoots as a PA and as an asst. camera. but that's been in video, and independent features is where i know i could fit best. if you know anyone that needs someone with some natural talent to prove, PLEASE let me know. i'll be looking harder in the meantime.

thanks,

Taylor

#2 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5508 posts
  • Director

Posted 02 April 2006 - 03:28 PM

Well try viewing your question through the eyes of a producer or director who just raised the funds for their first film.

You ask....

"i guess what i am looking for is a director/producer that wants to take a chance and let a "novice" take a serious seat on their production"

If you where the producer would you do that? Or would you want David Mullen to shoot your film? Even on a low budget you could always ask him, the worst he'd say is no.

Should we let a novice take a serious seat in the operating room? Should we let a novice take a serious seat at the controls of a multi million dollar jet fighter?

Come on, I think you answered your own question.

R,

#3 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 April 2006 - 03:38 PM

Music videos might be your calling card. You can show your 'stuff' within a three-to-five minute presentation. There's no shortage of material, in the form of bands looking to break out. A good deal of today's feature directors have come up that way.

#4 R T Humes

R T Humes

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 April 2006 - 04:56 PM

you make a good point, Richard. lately, i've been thinking of the best possible place to set up and begin logging hours as a freelance operator. what does anyone know about orlando, FL? i have some people there that guarantee me a full plate of production work if i make the move.

i thought people would automatically label me a PA if they knew i was just coming out of school. it's not true. still photography has been a 7 year hobby and i've shot movies whenever the batteries in the camcorder were charged.

and i am trying a music video right now. saw the band play last night...great stuff. i'm getting equipment (possibly) from the local production house i work for. location permissions are on their way.

i really just want on an independent movie shoot. i just recently saw the trailer for "brick" (2005) and was stoked (once more) about finding my way into the industry.

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport