Set Internship?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Adam Price

Adam Price
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:41 PM

I'm a sophomore majoring in Radio/TV/Film at Northwestern University, in Evanston, IL. I've been all over the internet looking in all the usual places that post internship opportunities (craigslist, entertainmentcareers.net, all the fox, paramount, etc websites) and there seem to be a ton of opportunities out there for internships in development, marketing, etc. But I really don't want to be in an office... in fact, my school can likely hook me up with a credit internship in something like that.

I'm looking for an academic credit internship on a TV/commercial/music video/film set for this summer in New York, LA, or here in Chicago. Northwestern is great for production experience, so I've spent most of my weekends of college on a film set. So I'm very familiar with set protocol, grip/lighting, and camera. If anyone has any recommendations for places to look, that would be great. If anyone can provide an academic credit internship (unpaid is fine) on set for this summer, and wants someone with a good knowledge of set procedure and who knows how to use equipment, please contact me.

My resume is attached.

Adam Price

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:52 PM

I'm a sophomore majoring in Radio/TV/Film at Northwestern University, in Evanston, IL. I've been all over the internet looking in all the usual places that post internship opportunities (craigslist, entertainmentcareers.net, all the fox, paramount, etc websites) and there seem to be a ton of opportunities out there for internships in development, marketing, etc. But I really don't want to be in an office... in fact, my school can likely hook me up with a credit internship in something like that.

I'm looking for an academic credit internship on a TV/commercial/music video/film set for this summer in New York, LA, or here in Chicago. Northwestern is great for production experience, so I've spent most of my weekends of college on a film set. So I'm very familiar with set protocol, grip/lighting, and camera. If anyone has any recommendations for places to look, that would be great. If anyone can provide an academic credit internship (unpaid is fine) on set for this summer, and wants someone with a good knowledge of set procedure and who knows how to use equipment, please contact me.

My resume is attached.

Adam Price

Why are you set on an internship? Why don't you just look for PA jobs? In my experience, there really aren't "internships' in film. Film sets don't have time for that.

#3 Brian Wells

Brian Wells
  • Sustaining Members
  • 438 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:08 PM

Why are you set on an internship?

Many schools require an internship to graduate. There are labor laws that make it virtually impossible to bring unpaid interns onto film sets. Besides, without a minimum number of hours the occasional film shoot would likely be inadequate for obtaining college credit. I suggest looking to TV stations and TV production companies instead. They can provide enough hours for college credit, and perhaps future employment opportunity (unlike the regional film industry which is staffed with A-list good old boys -- not that there's anything wrong with that).

#4 Scott Fritzshall

Scott Fritzshall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:08 PM

Is that John Cusack film still looking for interns? I was meaning to apply for that, but I haven't had time to put my resume together yet. Prison Break might also be looking for people; I'm not sure.

#5 Adam Price

Adam Price
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2006 - 05:22 PM

How would you go about applying for a show like Prison Break or the John Cusack movie. I've already been all through the internship section of the Fox website, and put out a few requests, but nothing specific, Prison Break is definitely not on there. Do you know of any numbers to call, websites to visit? What's the title of the Cusack film?

#6 Tim Tyler

Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 07 April 2006 - 06:01 PM

How would you go about applying for a show like Prison Break or the John Cusack movie.

Find the production office, visit, and leave a resume with the production manager or an AD if you can find one.

#7 Scott Fritzshall

Scott Fritzshall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 April 2006 - 06:36 PM

How would you go about applying for a show like Prison Break or the John Cusack movie. I've already been all through the internship section of the Fox website, and put out a few requests, but nothing specific, Prison Break is definitely not on there. Do you know of any numbers to call, websites to visit? What's the title of the Cusack film?

The film is called Grace is Gone. They're not publishing the email to apply; you're supposed to be a Columbia student and find it through the website. I don't think they'd want me to post it here, so I'll try and send it to you in a PM.

Tai Audio

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks