No replies to this topic

#1 M Joel W

M Joel W
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Student

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:45 PM

Yes, I'm a moron. My main character wears a bright white reflective mask and a white t-shirt. I'm shooting video with a 35mm adapter. (dvx100a) So lots of detail in dark areas (but grainy detail; the 35mm adapter and film lenses act as controlled flares) not much highlight headroom.

Indoors, it's not a huge problem. I like high contrast so some blown highlights on the mask aren't terrible. I can keep detail in 80% of it, expose the face okay, and be happy in long shots. For close ups, I just light softer or underexpose 1/2 a stop or so and it looks great or at least good enough.

Outdoors, well...it's horrible. I've been using a linear polarizer (I like my deep blue skys) and this fixes glare on faces and the most egreious blowouts, which are pretty bad at 3pm, which is about when I shoot (later and the light changes too fast, earlier and it's too close to noon.) But the shirt itself is still a mess. The mask is bad, too.

Could I possibly use an "off-white" gray shirt without it reading as gray and find a similar mask and spraypaint it a slightly darker, slightly less shiny finish? There's a fade out between the only indoor shots with the mask/shirt and outdoor shots with a mask/shirt so it's not like a sudden switch, but I still don't trust this method. The dark areas wouldn't look true white I don't think, but I can't underexpose a whole stop or two (what it necessary for enough detail for me to be happy) because the dvx is noisy as hell.

Suggestions? The polarizer helps and the results are "good enough" that I can life with them, but bad enough that they really really really bug me.

Edit: I now realize this doesn't really have to do with "lighting" but with dealing with different kinds of light. My bad; feel free to move.

Edited by Policar, 04 April 2006 - 09:54 PM.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Glidecam

CineLab

Ritter Battery