• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fran Kuhn

Fran Kuhn
  • Sustaining Members
  • 352 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 April 2006 - 02:24 PM

Because most big labs have a minimum processing charge that?s roughly equal to the cost of processing one 400-foot roll of 16mm film, I sometimes try to hold shorter rolls of exposed film until I can shoot enough additional footage to put me at or over 400 feet. Occasionally I?ll hold some film as long as four or five weeks before processing. Is this harmful?

#2 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 05 April 2006 - 02:47 PM

Because most big labs have a minimum processing charge that?s roughly equal to the cost of processing one 400-foot roll of 16mm film, I sometimes try to hold shorter rolls of exposed film until I can shoot enough additional footage to put me at or over 400 feet. Occasionally I?ll hold some film as long as four or five weeks before processing. Is this harmful?

Film does have "Latent Image Keeping" (LIK) that is temperature and time dependent. After you expose film, the "latent image" may change over time, usually such that you may lose a slight amount of contrast or speed. If you cannot process film right after exposure, you should refrigerate it to slow the LIK reaction. For very long storage times, you may even want to freeze the film:

http://www.kodak.com...b/tib5202.shtml

In most cases the changes are subtle, and easily corrected during the grading/timing process, but cold storage before processing will minimize any changes.

#3 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:38 PM

Yes, four or five weeks shouldn't be a problem if you keep it in a fridge, just make so that there is the less humidity inside as possible.

#4 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:27 PM

Another thing you can do is find a new lab. Most of them charge the same per foot whether you send them 100' or 2000'. I can't speak for every lab, but in dealing with multiple ones, I don't ever recall being quoted for minimum footage. Shop around.

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport