#1 oscar jimenez

oscar jimenez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • PANAMA, REPUBLIC OF PANAMA

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:06 PM

HI, the same as my other Topic, what Is a Vim Cable, when talking about HMI lamps?
Thanks

#2 Chainsaw

Chainsaw
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:04 PM

Don't feel bad about this one, if someone asked me for this it would give me a moments pause as well. It sounds as if the person that asked you to order this has some degree of an audio background; here's the story.

VIM is an acronym for Veam Interface Module. These are common cables for 4 or 8 pin XLR breakouts and also used for power breakouts on speaker systems. VIM or VEAM cables are native to the audio industry.

What you should have been told was to order a standard HMI head cable. HMI head cables have both a male and female 8-pin VEAM connector, this is the source of cunfusion. HMI head cables connect between the lamp head and the ballast. The Veam connector is a twist-lock style connector and is not interchangeable with any other cable. HMI head cables are typically part of a standard HMI package rental, as are ballasts, barndoors, AC feeders, lens sets (for PAR's), and spare bulbs.

So, to repeat, you should order the appropriate HMI head cable for your lamp(s) and not a VIM or Veam cable.

p.s. A bit of advice: If you are ever asked for an item or to perform a task that you do not understand, ask for clarification. It's much better to ask a question and learn the answer than to make an assumption and fail at a task.

#3 oscar jimenez

oscar jimenez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • PANAMA, REPUBLIC OF PANAMA

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:33 PM

Thanks a lot, that's why I rely and enjoy so much this forum!!!!
Oscar

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Opal

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets