#1 Stephen Whitehead

Stephen Whitehead
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto, Canada

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:58 PM

Hey any suggestions on how to make a rose wither fast. I am doing a time lapse shot and right now it seems I am going to be running it for 2 to 3 days. any suggestions on how to do it faster?

Cheers,

Steve

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:07 PM

Hey any suggestions on how to make a rose wither fast. I am doing a time lapse shot and right now it seems I am going to be running it for 2 to 3 days. any suggestions on how to do it faster?

Cheers,

Steve

Put your lights closer. I bet you can induce it to wilt within a few hours if the rose can be heated up to a hundred degrees or so.

#3 Jaan Shenberger

Jaan Shenberger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Director
  • San Francisco

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:14 PM

like chris mentioned, heat is probably your best bet. i believe that the withering is a result of dehydration. you might wanna using an industrial heat gun (basically a hair dryer on steroids).

though i've never tried something like this, you might be able to speed up the process even more by applying a light coat of some kind of oil onto the rose, because the oil will conduct the heat.

#4 Luke Prendergast

Luke Prendergast
  • Sustaining Members
  • 491 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Victoria Australia

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:30 PM

Hot lights, and poison the water.

#5 Richard Vialet

Richard Vialet
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Hollywood, CA

Posted 07 April 2006 - 04:47 AM

Check out the special features on the DVD set for the first season of Six Feet Under. If i remember correctly they explained just that when they broke down the production of their famous title sequence, which includes the quick wilting of a flower in a time lapse...i forgot what they mentioned though but im pretty sure it was some kind of chemical.

#6 Mike Welle

Mike Welle
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:18 AM

You monsters! Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should! If you were a rose, and people talked about you, about frying you, how would you feel? It's a living organism, for God's sake! You don't torture it for your own ego or for some pompous director. I know George W. Bush and his Republican friends would try to find a way to rationalize torture by putting it in the liner notes of a law they just passed. I guess might is right, to you and Richard III, but when you die and disentegrate back to the earth--think how pleased God will be to turn you into a flower that other snot nosed directors can put their hot little lamps over. "Thus doth he force the swords of wicked men to turn their own points on their master's bosoms."

Mike Welle

#7 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:26 PM

I guess Mike Welle doesn't want to hear about the, kitten in the microwave, shot I did on my last film.

R,

#8 Mike Welle

Mike Welle
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:37 PM

You sick, sick monster! All life is to be respected! You live that shall cry woe for this hereafter! Nothing comes from violence!

Mike Welle

I guess Mike Welle doesn't want to hear about the, kitten in the microwave, shot I did on my last film.

R,

#9 david west

david west
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:58 PM

i second the heat and poison theory...

not sure if it would work, but it would be interesting to see if simple salt water would help...

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

CineTape

The Slider

Glidecam

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Opal

Aerial Filmworks