4 replies to this topic

#1 Alex Fuchs

Alex Fuchs
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 April 2006 - 02:35 PM

I own a K3 and I asked myself if there is a possibility to do a gate check. Like things look like, the shutter is always closed and there is no phase knob like the Arri SR3 has one. And I can't take the magazine off. So do I have to shoot blind without the possibility of a gate check? Maybe a stupid question, but I need to know.
thx alex

#2 Alex Fuchs

Alex Fuchs
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:35 PM

mabe my question was a little bit weird. I think I mean the dust check, after a take. But I am not sure if this is the right english term for this.

#3 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:46 PM

It's a good point as there is no incher knob and the K3 always parks the mirror in the position for eyepiece viewing.

There is no easy way to do this on the K3 when there is film loaded. The best you'll be able to do is unscrew the lens and let the spring wind down to nothing, then you can take a look at the gate with the mirror out of the way. Of course this is quite a pain if there is film in the camera and the spring is at the top of its wind. You'll waste a lot of film trying to do this.

If you're that worried, then wind the spring 1/4, so that after your take you only have to run the camera a little bit before the spring winds out.

I don't know how else you can do it?

Basically the K3 is a "hail mary" camera, you don't worry about such things as a hair in the gate. Be careful with your loading and you should not have an issue.

R,

#4 Alex Fuchs

Alex Fuchs
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:56 PM

thanks a lot, maybe I cut the dust, hairs and all this grab with a 1,85 cache/letterboxed, so I havn't to care much about this dust checks.
:)

#5 stoop

stoop
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:12 PM

thanks a lot, maybe I cut the dust, hairs and all this grab with a 1,85 cache/letterboxed, so I havn't to care much about this dust checks.
:)

Yeah but you still have to watch out for the sides, don't want to have to crop in any further!

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post