#1 andres victorero

andres victorero
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:04 AM

Hi I plan to telecine some reels. A friend mine has a betacam SP deck.
I´m not sure if telecine to betacam SP is better than miniDV ...
what do you think?

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:19 AM

Hi I plan to telecine some reels. A friend mine has a betacam SP deck.
I´m not sure if telecine to betacam SP is better than miniDV ...
what do you think?

Hi,

It depends what you want to do with the footage later! If you want to play it into your computer then Mini DV via firewire would be the way to go. Remember BCSP is a very old and expensive format. At this point in time not the best archive medium IMHO.

Stephen

#3 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:32 AM

Stephen

I am not a fan of beta SP either, but what are your thoughts about transferring film, from S8 to 35, to digibeta and then dubbing down to mini DV for most FCP work. I have been transferring most of my 16mm footage to digibeta for archiving/future uses but work at the mini DV level for my own short projects. The idea of spending so much time, energy, and money to transfer to a highly compressed format as mini DV drives me crazy. I would love to be working at a higher level such as SDI or even High def but have not gotten there yet. I am excited by the idea of transferring film directly to hard drive but was disapointed by a post (perhaps it was you who linked to it) of someone who did a test of the services of Bono labs on cinematography.net.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Best

Tim

Edited by heel_e, 10 April 2006 - 07:34 AM.

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:58 AM

Stephen

I am not a fan of beta SP either, but what are your thoughts about transferring film, from S8 to 35, to digibeta and then dubbing down to mini DV for most FCP work.

I am excited by the idea of transferring film directly to hard drive but was disapointed by a post (perhaps it was you who linked to it) of someone who did a test of the services of Bono labs on cinematography.net.

Tim

Hi,

I usually follow the DigiBeta - SDI copy to DV route for my own use. In most circumstances it works very well but I would not try to grade the mini DV.

I too am looking forward to Telecine files to hard drive as a standard work-flow. I did indeed supply the link to the Bono footage.

Stephen

#5 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:14 PM

Hi,

I usually follow the DigiBeta - SDI copy to DV route for my own use. In most circumstances it works very well but I would not try to grade the mini DV.

I too am looking forward to Telecine files to hard drive as a standard work-flow. I did indeed supply the link to the Bono footage.

Stephen

I'm a fan of Betacam SP. Nowadays mini-dv is equally useful but the tape is very thin and fragile and I doubt nowhere near as reliable as Betacam SP in terms of longevity. For optimal results a digibeta transfer followed by a serial digital transfer to mini-dv (or must it be DV-CAM???) is probably the ideal path to take, however, Betacam SP transferred via serial digital (on a digibeta machine) to mini-dv or DV-CAM will look real good as well.

I recommend using the PVW or BVW decks when making high quality BetaCam Sp transfers. UVW machines are ok but they actually do have a slightly lower playback spec. However, if using the UVW machines most definitely use either the YC or component out, AVOID the composite out signal.

Betacam SP will allow you to time-code your master tapes sequentially. Starting with hour one, next transfer, call it hour two and so on. Even if you do this with mini-dv, apparently some camcorders don't read beyond hour 8, so that could be a bit of an annoyance down the road.

I would say the bottom line is to not just make a betacam sp copy, but a high quality digital copy as well.

Another way to word your question is, "Is there any reason to make a betacam sp copy in addition to a mini-dv copy. I would say "yes" since it appears you will have access to a betacam sp machine.

#6 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 10 April 2006 - 03:06 PM

I would think if you can send it to mini DV, you can send it to HDD, which would be tons better, backup to DVD

#7 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:46 PM

It's good to go to digibeta at any place that offers it. you can always send the digibeta tape and an external drive to places like Flying Spot anytime down the road. and get a mini DV dub on the spot for immediate viewing. you can work with any platform now that hard drive dumps are available... no expensive decks or hardware to deal with. you can work in digibeta or even HD platform with a $90 reusable hard drive, and $125hr rate... peanuts compared to renting a digbeta deck for $700 per day, if you can find one... not to mention a $500+ black majic card you would need.

Edited by Skratch, 10 April 2006 - 11:53 PM.

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

CineTape

CineLab

Glidecam

Opal