#1 Sam Care

Sam Care
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 10 April 2006 - 03:07 PM

What do you think you should look out for and consider when interviewing and choosing a 1st AC for a film?

#2 Mike Kaminski

Mike Kaminski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • toronto

Posted 10 April 2006 - 03:21 PM

What do you think you should look out for and consider when interviewing and choosing a 1st AC for a film?

Well dedication and attitude are top things when choosing any crew i suppose but being a 1st AC can be a stressful job and theres nothing more unwelcome than a resentful camera crew. You know, forty percent skills, sixty percent attitude, all that stuff. But also experience is especially necessary for the vast array of technical skills a 1st AC must have. A good resume and a good attitude basically. Also make sure they are familiar with camera system being used.

Edited by mike kaminski, 10 April 2006 - 03:21 PM.

#3 Jayson Crothers

Jayson Crothers
  • Sustaining Members
  • 351 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:46 AM

I've worked with the same 1st since I first picked up a camera and started shooting, so I'm lucky in that regard - the qualities in her that I enjoy are her sense of humor and eternal good nature. No matter what the show, what the pay, what the hours, what the circumstances, she always keeps a positive attitude. She knows when to make a joke with me, knows when to quietly gripe with me, knows when to step back, and knows when to step up. She pays immense attention to what I do and what all the talent does - after a day or so she'll listen for what the next shot is and already have the lens swapped for me with filters coming in; anticipation is key I think. She never gets in the way and does her work without drawing attention; she's ready to go at all times.

Of course, she's fantastic at eye-balling focus and keeping me sharp.

The other thing I really love is the collaboration. She reads the script and reviews the sides every morning; she'll watch a rehearsal and then ask me about which STORY point I want a focus pull on. She thinks about focus as a story-telling element and can improvise when need be because she gets the STORY.

I suppose at the end of the day, you want to interview someone you can get along with, someone who's very organzied, cool and calm under pressure, and the more experience, the better.

#4 Daniel Stigler

Daniel Stigler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Berlin, Germany

Posted 13 April 2006 - 06:11 AM

Ask him for the phonenumbers of the DoPs he usually works with and ask them about him. If you get confirmed that he knows that the lens goes to the hole in the front and the magazine to the hole in the back of the camera go out for a beer and see if you get along on a personal level.

#5 Rik Andino

Rik Andino
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Electrician
  • New York City

Posted 14 April 2006 - 01:49 AM

Well since you're asking us these questions
It's obvious you're not in the market for the best ACs out there (i.e. they're expensive)

So perhaps you should take the opportunity
And go around film-schools and find people that are eager and willing to learn with you...
Since you're also most likely in a position to grow.

Growing up with your crew can be tough but it also helps because you all learn at the same time
There is no frustating process where someone is waiting for someone else to get the "idea"...
As you grown together you build a working relation which comes in handy later on...

Most DP know a good list of ACs to work with...
If they can't get their favortie ACs they usually get recommendations from other ACs or DPs
It all about knowing your way around the industry...

Find someone you can get along with and work with that...
If you're competent in a few years you'll have a list of AC you know you can work with.

Good Luck

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera