5 replies to this topic

#1 Kirk Anderson

Kirk Anderson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:22 PM

Here is my first cut on my reel. There's some super 8, 16mm, HD and some DV. Let me know your overall impression and what level you think I'm at. I'd really appreciate some Constructive criticism.
thanks
Kirk
Put The video at "Original size" and it looks better.

http://video.google....934522873476864

Edited by Kircules, 10 April 2006 - 10:25 PM.

#2 Jon-Hebert Barto

Jon-Hebert Barto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:44 PM

What is this reels purpose? Sorry, I don't get it...Skating, macaroni and cheese, more skating..., some footage from a boat-of a boat, the ocean views, golden gate, ect.

If my criticism is less than constructive I apologize, but this looks like vacation footage to me. I see no semblance of actual project material on show. I did see some of the "Matchless" material in there but the rest looks like you filming your friends on a weekend expedition to The City to carve some curbs with your deck. I don't see anything that can be made from your "first cut".

I applaude you for showing your material and actually going out to shoot. Lots of people talk the talk but don't walk the walk. Keep shooting stories and/or docs in a purposeful way, then make a reel. It almost looks like you filmed that whole macaroni thing just to put in a reel. The purpose of a reel is to showcase impactful snippets from previouse projects. When I say"purposeful" I'm not responding to style, but impact. This goes back to the point I made about it looking like a vacation video with friends.....Also, It's about 3min. long, I'd make it 2.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. Keep it up...

P.S.- Love the song, maybe it has something to do with the "vacation feel" aspect? I've rarely seen reels with lyrics in the music. You're showings images, not making a music video right?

Edited by BARCA, 11 April 2006 - 09:49 PM.

#3 Stephen Whitehead

Stephen Whitehead
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto, Canada

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:40 AM

Just keep in mind that a DP reel has a lot to do with showing what you have lit. Shots just taken off the cuff are fine in small doses, but you wanna convince people you know how to do more than "point and arriflex" as the expression goes, showing scenes that involved light setups is important.

#4 Kirk Anderson

Kirk Anderson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:12 PM

thanks guys.
this is exactly what i needed to know. Although i feel like i got kicked in the face, it's exactly the realization i needed. I'm now in the process of re-building everything and taking everyones advice into consideration and this is no industry to get your feelings hurt.

This was made to basically show anything I've done to the faculty at SFSU. I'm in my sophomore year and applying to be in an Advanced Production Pool, where I can take, cinematography, Directing, lighting, Editing etc. for the last two years I've just been in overview courses and shooting on my own time.

thanks,
kirk

so, in your opinion is there anything worth keeping? be honest please.

Edited by Kircules, 12 April 2006 - 09:19 PM.

#5 Kirk Anderson

Kirk Anderson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:30 PM

Also the whole mac and cheese thing, was a music video, it's here.

http://video.google....075497408025100

#6 Jon-Hebert Barto

Jon-Hebert Barto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:49 PM

"Thats three in a row, go for one more! Go for it, Connect Four!" Cool vid.

IMHO, talent is 50% attitude. You should do well with yours....

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC