#1 Frankieplus

Frankieplus

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:33 AM

Can anyone guess why I'm getting real weird white balance values especially in the afternoon?

I'm getting values like 12000, 22000, 36000 which seems a bit extreme. Do these readings even seem like the camera could be correct in what it's doing?

In tungsten it always sets itself to 2900 or 3200 no matter what so that's ok.

Could it have something to do with balancing on shiny objects like a white car perhaps? I can't work this one out.

I bought those blue white balancing cards to warm the picture up and it's doing it on those as well.

What could influence extreme high values like the ones I've been getting? Could it be exposure on the white card?

Am using a Sony DSR450WSPL. which I recently purchased.

-Frankie

#2 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:42 AM

all you need is a white piece of paper.

Depending on what time of day it is, and cloudy/non temperatures could get that high, but that's unlikely.

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:38 AM

Hi,

My video camera gives a readout of colour temperature, and I never see more than about 10,000K on even the chilliest London winter day.

Phil

#4 Matthew Parnell

Matthew Parnell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Electrician
  • Brisbane, Australia

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:02 AM

Sorry if this is entirely wrong or misguided, I am completely unfamiliar with the camera, but if it has a filter wheel check what filter is engaged, this might be your problem.

#5 Peter J DeCrescenzo

Peter J DeCrescenzo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 620 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR, USA www.peterdv.com Blog: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:41 PM

Hi Frankie: By way of comparison, it's a rainy morning again here in the San Francisco area (we're having a record-breaking wet Spring so far), and when I white balance my DSR-450WSL on white objects outside I get readings around 6,000K or so.

I also tried it with the "WHT FILTER INH" setting turned on & off (refer to Function 3 in the Maintenance menu), and I get consistent auto-WB color temp values regardless of which built-in ND filter is selected. (The DSR-450WSL's ND filters are colorless and all color temp compensation is done electronically). I normally leave this feature set to "ON" so changing ND filters doesn't affect color temp compensation, but that's just me.

The cam won't auto-WB if the scene is over or under exposed, so that wouldn't seem to be the cause of the odd result you see.

Have you changed the "OFFSET WHT" values? (Refer to OFFSET WHT in the Operation menu). I normally leave this feature turned off, but occasionally tweak them. For example, the WARM-COOL setting can be adjusted all the way to 21,262K on my cam. Perhaps these settings are affecting your results in a way you didn't expect?

Let us know what you find out.

#6 Jac Chesson

Jac Chesson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Kansas City USA

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:00 PM

Hi, Frankie

I've not had that problem w/ my 450, although after sunset I have had readings as high as 15000, but that's just because the light that time of evening was very blue.

Peter, please send some of that rain out KC way. Unseasonably hot and dry here.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Opal

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly