PS Technic Mini35 and diffusion/net filters, behind the lens?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Matti Poutanen

Matti Poutanen
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:17 AM

Hi!

I'm very curious about using diffusion filters and nets with a video camera and mini35-adapter. I've done some tests: built a 4x4 frame and trimmed pantyhose material to it, worked ok. There's been discussion about mounting nets behind the lens, they say the effect looks little diffirent when the net's behind.

I'm little puzzled: how and where exactly the net should be trimmed when set ehind the lens? Is this even possible with 35mm cine lens adapters for video cameras, or does a real 35mm film camera have a diffirent kind of mounting system or something?

Should one just stretch the material as thin as possbile, cover the back of the lens optics with it, and stick it to the mount?

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 12 April 2006 - 06:03 PM

Hi!

I'm very curious about using diffusion filters and nets with a video camera and mini35-adapter. I've done some tests: built a 4x4 frame and trimmed pantyhose material to it, worked ok. There's been discussion about mounting nets behind the lens, they say the effect looks little diffirent when the net's behind.

I'm little puzzled: how and where exactly the net should be trimmed when set ehind the lens? Is this even possible with 35mm cine lens adapters for video cameras, or does a real 35mm film camera have a diffirent kind of mounting system or something?

Should one just stretch the material as thin as possbile, cover the back of the lens optics with it, and stick it to the mount?

The visual effect of nets behind the lens is very different from in front of the lens. Behind the lens the net pattern is much more blurred and uniform, and less likely to come into focus at higher f-stops and wider focal lengths.

Regarding attaching the net to the lens, it depends on the lens. The common technique is to use "snot tape" on the metal around the edge of the rear element, and stretch the net tightly. Be careful not to get glue on the glass element, and be sure that the net won't pop off and jam the moving parts of the adapter or camera.

Some 35mm camera systems have a behind-the-lens filter slot, where you can mount nets or gelatin filters.

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Opal

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine