#1 Brant Collins

Brant Collins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Producer
  • Little Rock, Arkansas

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:19 AM

It is always said rent cameras to try. What are some good retal houses for a Super 16 package

#2 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:22 AM

In NYC Abel Cine Tech for Aaton Super 16 and CSC for Arri SR III. They probably have the best inventory and service.

Smaller houses may be DuAll and ... there is one other run by a French guy named Mark. Can't think of it just now. I think TCS is still around.

best

Tim

#3 Rik Andino

Rik Andino
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Electrician
  • New York City

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:41 PM

In NYC Abel Cine Tech for Aaton Super 16 and CSC for Arri SR III. They probably have the best inventory and service.

Smaller houses may be DuAll and ... there is one other run by a French guy named Mark. Can't think of it just now. I think TCS is still around.

best

Tim

The one run by the Frenchman--Marc Paturet is called Handheld Films
http://www.handheldfilms.com/

As for Rental Houses in Little Rock...
I'm not sure but there are a few in Atlanta and St. Louis
You should check out.

Good Luck

#4 jijhh

jijhh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Student

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:24 PM

I'm not one to trash on a rental house that I've never used (they may be two extreme cases), but you might want to see these posts about Handheld from an NYU messageboard:

"The first time I rented from them, I asked for a follow focus, which they told me was available, but when I checked out, there wasn't one present with our gear. So I asked them, and they ended up giving me a pretty cheap one that ended up not working if we had the matte box on at the same time. The second time, two of the items I had reserved - a swingaway matte box and a 9.5mm lens - were not available when we arrived to checkout, so we got a clip-on matte box. The director actually decided before we arrived that she'd rather have a 12mm lens than a 9.5, so I guess it didn't matter too much, but watch out...they also initially sent us the wrong rental quote, with items we didn't rent, so we had to call back and ask for the right quote."

"- out of a light, and were about to charge me even though it wasn't present
- no replacement bulbs until asked
- no proper housing for bulbs and lights, just loose- and now they're charging me for a broken bulbs which weren't broken when we packed everything up
- wrong adapter and no screw, so we couldn't use the dolly
- took an hour to draft the contract at checkout which had incorrect information on it
- said they would refund the dolly then changed their mind"

#5 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:58 PM

Sounds like they mixed up your order with somebody else's.

Now that I work at an A/V rental house I have a lot more sympathy for the honest mistakes of order-takers and techs. You wouldn't believe the number of ways an order can get screwed up, despite your best intentions. It's embarrassing and frustrating to the poor schmuck who blew your order, so you won't need to rub it in - it's self-irritating.

#6 Rik Andino

Rik Andino
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Electrician
  • New York City

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:24 PM

I'm not one to trash on a rental house that I've never used (they may be two extreme cases), but you might want to see these posts about Handheld from an NYU messageboard:

"The first time I rented from them, I asked for a follow focus, which they told me was available, but when I checked out, there wasn't one present with our gear. So I asked them, and they ended up giving me a pretty cheap one that ended up not working if we had the matte box on at the same time. The second time, two of the items I had reserved - a swingaway matte box and a 9.5mm lens - were not available when we arrived to checkout, so we got a clip-on matte box. The director actually decided before we arrived that she'd rather have a 12mm lens than a 9.5, so I guess it didn't matter too much, but watch out...they also initially sent us the wrong rental quote, with items we didn't rent, so we had to call back and ask for the right quote."

"- out of a light, and were about to charge me even though it wasn't present
- no replacement bulbs until asked
- no proper housing for bulbs and lights, just loose- and now they're charging me for a broken bulbs which weren't broken when we packed everything up
- wrong adapter and no screw, so we couldn't use the dolly
- took an hour to draft the contract at checkout which had incorrect information on it
- said they would refund the dolly then changed their mind"

Yeah that's normal with Handheld.

From my experience they usually just screw with students because well they're students
Funny thing though, most of their customers are students...
Incident like that teaches folks to do a thorough checkout.

There are better rental places in NY---they're just more expensive.

#7 Annie Wengenroth

Annie Wengenroth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:53 PM

I did a checkout at Handheld and I don't want to sound arrogant or cocky but I kinda felt like I knew more than the people working there. I mean, they were nice people, but they are pretty small. You could probably rent from them and do okay, I would just suggest being very specific about what you want and really thorough, like Rik said. Then again, that goes for ANY rental house! I work over at Arri CSC and we might be out of your price range...! I will say this...prep techs are not psychic...we're close, we try to be! but ultimately, it's YOUR checkout and you only get out of it, what you put into it. If you don't know, ask. If you can think of a better way, tell us. Communication is key.

Glidecam

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Tai Audio