s16mm transfer to HDV

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Gannon

Josh Gannon
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:54 AM

I am wondering if anybody has tried to do a s16mm transfer to HDV.

As I'm still a student my projects are extreamly low budget and usually I have my negative transfer direct to DVCAM for editing.

I have spoken to my post house and they are able to do it if I bring them in a HDV deck, which is no problem. If any body has any experience with this please let me know the pros and cons.

Obviously HDV is highly compressed but I've never found DVCAM's compression that good anyway.

Thankyou.

#2 Joshua Reis

Joshua Reis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:55 PM

If you have the JVC HDV VTR, editing 720P 23.98, this may be a good option. I know most HDV decks will not record 23.98 frames since it not part of the HDV 1080 spec. Someone else may have a solution.

#3 gordon liron

gordon liron
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Other
  • studio city

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:50 AM

I would seriously call several post houses and see which one can give you the best rate to transfer to hdcam or d4 and then do a simo transfer to HDV. If you feel pretty good about the project you are working on, you may want to consider conserving it on a reliable format. Not to knock HDV, but in comparison.....big difference to a d4 24p master which will have so much more latitude when you get color correction.

Edited by gordon liron, 24 April 2006 - 12:58 AM.

#4 gordon liron

gordon liron
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Other
  • studio city

Posted 24 April 2006 - 01:22 AM

please excuse the typo. it should say D5.....I'll just say i was drunk...sounds believable.

#5 Scott Fritzshall

Scott Fritzshall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:58 AM

My question would be why you would want to go to HDV in the first place. If it's for your offline, DVCam is easier and cheaper, and if it's for your online, you're already paying for an HD transfer, so why pay the money just to go to HDV instead of HDCam or D5? Unless you've got a specific need for HDV, which I honestly can't imagine, I'd think you're better off going a more traditional route.

#6 gordon liron

gordon liron
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Other
  • studio city

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:30 PM

My question would be why you would want to go to HDV in the first place. If it's for your offline, DVCam is easier and cheaper, and if it's for your online, you're already paying for an HD transfer, so why pay the money just to go to HDV instead of HDCam or D5? Unless you've got a specific need for HDV, which I honestly can't imagine, I'd think you're better off going a more traditional route.

Thats an excellent note. I guess if I were in his shoes...I might argue that I have access to a HDV system but maybe later on...I might be able to get on an AVID NITRUS system. You never know. But I do agree that you mught as well use DVCAM as an offline format. I just feel that if you can find a good deal on getting the best transfer.....why string up your negatives again for the D5 because you found additional budget resources down the road. That would be my argument if I were in his shoes.

#7 Josh Gannon

Josh Gannon
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2006 - 07:27 PM

Like I said,

I am a student and I do not have alot of money to spend.

Luckily the post house I use in Brisbane gives students from my film school a fairly extreame discount and I have spoken to the colourist and they arn't going to charge any extra to do a HDV transfer.

I also have access only to DV / HDV editing facilities. Of course I realize that HDCAM and D5 are the best formats for the transfer, but again I'm trying to get the best quality for the least outlay.

A little about the project: It's a music video for a local band that have funded the clip themselves. They have not yet provided the funds for a 1 light/best light and when/if they do it will only be the bear minimum so there won't be any going back later.

All I really want to know is if that HDV will give me a better result then DVCAM.

Josh Gannon

Also I'm in Australia so I have shot 25fps for a PAL transfer

#8 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 30 April 2006 - 01:09 AM

Putting S16 on anything besides straight to HDD, or Digibeta is a waste of shooting s16. Don't be stubborn. Go with either method, but please don't go to DVCAM or DV.

It defeats the purpose.

#9 Scott Fritzshall

Scott Fritzshall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 April 2006 - 01:45 AM

Like I said,

I am a student and I do not have alot of money to spend.

Luckily the post house I use in Brisbane gives students from my film school a fairly extreame discount and I have spoken to the colourist and they arn't going to charge any extra to do a HDV transfer.

I also have access only to DV / HDV editing facilities. Of course I realize that HDCAM and D5 are the best formats for the transfer, but again I'm trying to get the best quality for the least outlay.

A little about the project: It's a music video for a local band that have funded the clip themselves. They have not yet provided the funds for a 1 light/best light and when/if they do it will only be the bear minimum so there won't be any going back later.

All I really want to know is if that HDV will give me a better result then DVCAM.

Josh Gannon

Also I'm in Australia so I have shot 25fps for a PAL transfer

So this is for your online then, basically. Honestly, niether HDV nor DVCam are really going to be high-quality online formats. I'd really recommend almost anything else- Beta SP, DigiBeta, HDCam, D5...

Is this intended for broadcast? If so, anything less than Beta is going to compromise the quality. How much more will you have to pay to get it on Beta, or HDCam, or whatever? I'm sort of wondering how they'll give you an HD transfer for no extra cost as long as it's to HDV- maybe they're charging for digitizing as well?

Or maybe they're just transferring it on an SD telecine no matter what, and putting that on HDV if you ask for it?

I really can't think of any good reason to go to HDV, but DVCam is also going to be pretty sub-par if it's your final destination.

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Opal

The Slider

Abel Cine

Visual Products

CineLab