Sekonic Light Meter Calibration

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew J. Whittaker

Andrew J. Whittaker
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:48 AM

Just recently I came across a page where a photographer writes about how his Sekonic light meters have consisting been reading 2/3 and 1/2 (L338) stop more light, and have been giving him underexposed negatives by 2/3rds and 1/2 of a stop. He corrects this with the calibration function on his meter.

I have a 558C and was curious to find out if any Sekonic users on this forum have found this to be the case with your own meters, and if you calibrate accordingly.

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 15 April 2006 - 07:02 PM

Just recently I came across a page where a photographer writes about how his Sekonic light meters have consisting been reading 2/3 and 1/2 (L338) stop more light, and have been giving him underexposed negatives by 2/3rds and 1/2 of a stop. He corrects this with the calibration function on his meter.

I have a 558C and was curious to find out if any Sekonic users on this forum have found this to be the case with your own meters, and if you calibrate accordingly.

There's a couple "known issues" with the Sekonic 508C. First off the spot meter doesn't agree with the incident, but that's easy enough to program (you can calibrate/compensate each individually on that unit).

The other issue is that it OVER reports in low-level tungsten light (but not daylight -- go figure) It reports approximately 1/3-1/2 stop more light around T2.8/500 ASA. I had this pointed out to me by another DP who owns the 508, and checked mine against my Minolta. Sure enough...

Fortunately in the case of OVER repeorting, you're not screwing up your negative. I've learned to basically ignore it, and have had no surprises ;-)

#3 Aaron_Farrugia

Aaron_Farrugia
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:30 PM

There's a couple "known issues" with the Sekonic 508C. First off the spot meter doesn't agree with the incident, but that's easy enough to program (you can calibrate/compensate each individually on that unit).

just wondering
what do you mean that the spot dosnt agree with the incident?
their 2 different readings

#4 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:42 AM

just wondering
what do you mean that the spot dosnt agree with the incident?
their 2 different readings

If you take a spot reading of an 18% gray card and then take an incident reading with the bulb in the same position as the gary card, the two readings should be the same (under reasonably soft, mostly frontal lighting).

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc