#1 Gino Terribilini

Gino Terribilini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Student
  • Long Beach, CA

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:57 PM

My Arri S has been good to me on the last two shoots i've been on, but my 25mm lens is giving me trouble. First off, its hard to slide the darn thing into every slot on the turret and pulling focus is just as hard. Is there something physically wrong with the lens that I can alter to make it easier?

#2 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:34 PM

My Arri S has been good to me on the last two shoots i've been on, but my 25mm lens is giving me trouble. First off, its hard to slide the darn thing into every slot on the turret and pulling focus is just as hard. Is there something physically wrong with the lens that I can alter to make it easier?

Which 25mm lens do you have Gino? Schneider 25mm f1.4, Schneider 25mm f1.5, Zeiss 25mm f2.0 or Cooke Kinetal 25mm f2.0? Of the four of them, I have used all but the Zeiss. And of the three I've used, only the Schneider 25mm f1.4 is an "internal focus" lens. The other two, the barrel of the lens turns in the socket as you focus, so you need to make sure you have a thin film of ARRI grease or some other suitable lubricant on the lens barrel and in the turret socket. If you have the Schneider 25mm f1.4, the internal focusing one, and it does not slide into the turret socket well, or it does not focus smoothly, you will need to have it serviced. The issue with those old lenses is sometimes there is not much a service tech can do, but it is worth a try.

Hope that helps,
-Tim

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Opal

Willys Widgets

The Slider