Photo

can you make a lightmeter out of a camcorder?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 grantsmith

grantsmith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:54 PM

Hello. I have a bit of a bizarre request for anyone who liked Mcguiver. Is it possible to make a light meter out of a camcorder? I have an old bolex which I would like to use but don't have a lightmeter. I also have a vx1000e and a kodak gray card (80%). Is there anything I can do with these to expose my bolex correctly (a non-reflex model). ( i actually do have a light meter - a weston model 4 cine but i dont think it is of any use, or at least dosnt seem to be).Thank you.

#2 Joe Gioielli

Joe Gioielli
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:36 PM

Hello. I have a bit of a bizarre request for anyone who liked Mcguiver. Is it possible to make a light meter out of a camcorder? I have an old bolex which I would like to use but don't have a lightmeter. I also have a vx1000e and a kodak gray card (80%). Is there anything I can do with these to expose my bolex correctly (a non-reflex model). ( i actually do have a light meter - a weston model 4 cine but i dont think it is of any use, or at least dosnt seem to be).Thank you.

Well, when I used to visit dvinfo net, I'd heard of peope trying to figure out the "film speed" of the video camea. To be honest, though, I really think it is kind of a bad idea. The VX1K is a nice cam. I wouldn't want to risk damaging it just to save the cost of a lightmeter.

I don't know the Weston 4, but considering how expensive 16mm film is, I thonk it would be false economy to you one that you are unsure of. Visit the local camera stores and see if you can fin a used one. You don't need a $900 digital. You should be able to get a good analog one for under $200.

I like sekonic, but there are many good names out there.

A lightmeter, to a camera, is like a scope to a rifle. The best rifle in the would will do no good if you can't hit the bull's eye. No matter how good the camera, lens, and film is, if the exposure is bad, you're sunk.

Best of luck!
Joe

#3 Bernhard Zitz

Bernhard Zitz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Other
  • Z├╝rich, Switzerland

Posted 14 April 2006 - 05:32 PM

A dslr can be very nice for metering, a analog slr with build in meter can be a reference too... I never tried a videocam...

a analog second hand lightmeter isn't to expensiv, if you consider the money you might waste on bad exposed stock it's a small expense :D

cheers, Bernhard

CineTape

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Opal

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera