#1 Mariano Nante

Mariano Nante
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:28 PM

Hi you all,

I don't know if this is the right forum for this question, but here I go.

I'm looking for a type of software that can make storyboards. Now, I don't want to draw them on the computer; I just want to insert digital pictures, write some text and number each shot and scene. Is there such a program or will I have to make some kind of template in Word?
What do you guys do in order to make storyboards?

Thanks in advance,

Mariano Nante
Student
Buenos Aires, Argentina.

#2 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:32 PM

Frameforge 3D. Probably the best one out there

#3 Mariano Nante

Mariano Nante
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:34 PM

Thank you very much

Mariano Nante

#4 Aleksandar Bracinac

Aleksandar Bracinac
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Director
  • Belgrade, Serbia

Posted 15 April 2006 - 03:17 PM

Realviz Storyviz?

Alex

#5 Rod Otaviano

Rod Otaviano
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 April 2006 - 03:41 PM

How about Playmobil + a cheap digital camera ?

:D

http://www.playmobil.com/index.html

#6 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 16 April 2006 - 01:43 AM

That would work. I use the various Barbie, GI Joe and Ken dolls and a ton of barbie furniture, clothes props set pieces and backdrops in the form of doll houses and play set that I inhearited from from my nieces and nefews when they out grew them combined w/ set of 4 minature sevailance cameras and monitor I got when my parents closed their hobbie shop. I can switch and move cameras at will, like a TV director. I occationally set a camera in a modified toy pick-up truck bed to aproximate dolly and crane shots. Of course there is only one focal length and my DOF is constant, but it does give me a pretty good idea of how my composition, angles and cuts will look like before I shoot.

I was going to build a set of scale lights w/ gel holders too simulate my imagined lighting design using ultra bight LCDs but haven't had time to do that yet. I may try mini maglights, the ones that use a single double A battery if I can fine a deal on 10 or 15 ot them them then figure out some way of fabricating scale stands, flags, diffusion, ect. For my film The Black Sky I did buld a scale model of the flight deck set and taped a few storyboards to combine w. animation tests whe have done. It's actually a great way to story board.

I got the idea originally from hearing Peter Jackson used minature camers and scale sets to storyboard Lord of the Rings amd later say annother filmmake's posts on a filmmaking website (I forget which one) where he used artist's minature wooden dolls and a digital camera to storyboard his film. I looked at Artist's dolls but they were expensive and I have 7 charictures, besides the artists dolls are all non-descript and it would be hard to tell which characture was which after a while, and sence the dolls I got were free, there was no question which to use.

The only thing I don't like is the smile on these dolls is a bit unnearving when your staging a serious sequence. I actually thought about taking pictures of the actors I intend to use for the project and printing out paper masks to scale and affixing them to the dolls, again, when I get some time I may try that just for the hell of it and see if makes a difference from a dramatic stand point.

I figure the stronger the impact of the storyboards, the more likely I would be to use them to help sell the project to an investor. I did get one negative reaction from one of my animators but he's a pretty negative guy to start with so I just blew it off. The reast of the guys thought it was great and helprd them a lot, and more importantly it helped me to visualize the project more strongly and that's what really counts!

Edited by Capt.Video, 16 April 2006 - 01:47 AM.

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS