Entertainment Production Research.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 iceleavs

iceleavs
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:51 PM

Hi I am doing a school project that involves the topic entertainment production. I am new to this field. However, I have done some initial research on such topic and from the information of the research to form such questionnaire. It will be really appreciated if anyone could help me with these questions. Your experience and knowledge will be most helpful. Thanks. =)

1. How do companies decide what movies go under production?
2. How do they decide how much money can be invested in a movie?
3. What is the role of advertising of a film?
4. Where do most of the funds come from?
5. Home entertainment industry has become bigger. Do you think theatre business will go smaller over the time because of that?
6. Titanic made the most profit worldwide so far. What was the reason that so much was invested in that movie at that time?
7. What are the differences in production team?s structure between building a digital film and a traditional film?
8. What happens when a movie did not make a profit?
9. Low budget film such as Blair Witch Project made a tremendous profit. What do you think is the reason behind it?
10. Peter Jackson?s earlier films did well but not that great in my opinion. Why would New Line Cinema willing to invest such huge amount of money on him to make three episodes of Lord of the Rings.
11. What was the reason Peter Jackson?s King Kong get the most budget to make such a film?
12. Many films lost a lot of profit. Why do you think that is?
13. What is a successful film in your opinion? Which one is it?

#2 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 15 April 2006 - 05:44 AM

1. They green light pictures that they believe will make them money (usually a cobination of expirence, the filmmaker's pitch and the filmmaker's track record) and on rare occations will gamble on a project due to it's perceived artistic value.

2.The producer will pitch then negociate the budget.

3. To make the public aware of the film.

4. Investors, studios, banks, friends, family, gangsters (just kidding, well....maybe not), a job, selling blood, anywhere and anything you feel it morally acceptable to do that will raise funds for your picture.

5. It already has. New York theaters have had to resort to making plays out of movies and hiring movie stars to put asses in the seats.

6. A great script, a stellar cast and James Cameron's track record, and even at that Cameron said in an interview he didn't get enough money to do the picture the exact way he wanted to.

7. Usually Digital films are much smaller productions and therefore have a smaller crew.But on large HD productions they're pretty much the same.

8. If it's a big picture, noone makes a picture like that one for a while, and you as the filmmaker hope the next one does. It's always a gamble.

9. An absolutely BRILLIANT advertising campaine waged over the internet for over 3 years by the filmmakers.

10. He had a fully realised vision of the pictures w/ full storyboard, animation tests, brilliant script. They saw he exactly what he was going to do. If fact once this shoot was under way one of the big wigs from New Line tells the story about how he came into Jackson's office for a meeting one day and while he was waiting, looked around at the posters from Jackson's other films then sat there stunned for a moment thinking "What have we gotten ourselves into!?"

11. Lord of the Rings mad a bazillion dollars.

12. Noone has a magic ball that can tell what people are going to respond to. They almost released American Graffitti as a made for TV movie because of some executive's opinion.

13. One that captures the public's imagination and heart. Gone With the Wind, The Wizard of OZ, Lawrence of Arabia, The Godfather, Patton, Casablanca, Rebel without a Cause, Titanic, Aliens, E.T., Back to he Future, The Exorsist, the French Connection, The Great Escape, The Magnificent Seven, Bonnie and Clyde, Shaft, Ghoastbusters, Polterguist, 2001, Star Wars, The Good The Bad and The Ugly, True Grit. Bambi, Goodfellows, Taxidriver, Chinatown, Titanic, Saving Private Ryan, Shindler's List, The Maltese Falcon, The Odd Couple, There's Something about Mary, Scarface, Austin Powers, Planet of the Apes, Plup Fiction, Smokey and the Bandit, Deliverance, Forbidden Planet, The Thing, The Blob. Terms of Endearment, The Shining, Dirty Harry, Easy Rider, Five easy Pieces, The Wrath Of Kawn, Young Frankenstien, Frankenstien, The Wolfman, The Munny, Dracula, Thelma and Louise, The Rocky Horror Picture show, Psycho, Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid, A Beautiful Mind, Apollo 13, Big, the Day the Earth Stood Still, Robinhood, Beach Blanket Bingo, Grease, The Lord of the Rings, Help, Chicago, Batman, Spiderman, Cinerella, Flashdance, South Pacific, Blaizing Saddles, In the Heat Of the Night, Lilies of the Fields, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Bridge on the River Kwia, The Elephant Man, Whe harry Met Sally and thousands more.

#3 iceleavs

iceleavs
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2006 - 02:58 AM

Hi wow thanks so much for the information. This helps alot for my research. These are very informative answers. If you don't mind, I was hoping if you would let me know your name as I would like to put you down for a thank-you credit in the section of my research presentation. Thx again so much. =)

#4 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 17 April 2006 - 12:50 AM

I keep my name a secret as I'm wanted in 5 states or I accept no praise because I'm a superhero. I can never keep those two straight, but The Captain will be just fine. Thanks for the thought.

#5 Adam White

Adam White
  • Sustaining Members
  • 135 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:25 PM

put the good captain in the credits. Then, when people ask for the real identity, stare off into the distance and murmer "if only we knew"

ooh drama!

As to your questions, many of them could also be also be attributed to film-makers passion. I believe Peter Jackson went in to the New Line Meeting with an offer to make one film of the whole "Rings" trilogy in the bag. He just couldnt accept it as much as his wallet would have proffited. He made a pitch for two films but the NL owners picked up on the level of commitment and went "No! you need three fims" They gambled on a passion and a drive. (fact fans, if I am wrong, apologies)

I dont like Titanic but JC's dedication and drive push it beyond an audiences expectations. You get more than you expect because he simply wont accept anything less than the best. After "Rings", would you question PJ's dedication? exactly and thats why a bunch of men in suits made the safest gamble they could and put the money on the kiwi.

Some films fail because they are, well unlucky. Others because the timing is wrong. Many fail because of the marketing systems need to classify and feature into less than five snappy words, but there are also umpteen films that fail because they are made purely for profit at the expense of anything interesting for the audience to see. Ironicaly, these films will be lensed by DoP who, along with all creative HOD, are passionate about image and quality and substance.

bit of a rant and not sure it made much sense, ho hum.

Adam

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Tai Audio

Opal

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets