1 reply to this topic

#1 jijhh

jijhh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:23 PM

i was just checking out rental prices on the ARRI CSC website and noticed that all of the HMI lights have two prices, one for "magnet" and one for "elec. SQ-WV". could someone fill me in on what these mean? are they meant for different shooting situations?

#2 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 15 April 2006 - 05:09 PM

One if for magnetic ballasts and one is for electronic square wave ballasts.
Magnetic is cheaper than electronic for the reason being that with magnetic you can only shoot at HMI safe shooting speeds 20,24,30,40 and the like (check the ASC manual for the complete range of HMI safe shooting speeds). Electronic ballasts are more expensive because if you shoot in their silent mode at 24 fps you can roughly shoot at any speed between 20 and 30. But check this with each manufacturer what that range is. If you shoot in the other setting which is flicker free you can shoot at any frame rate you wish. However in the flicker free mode there is more chopping of the sine wave which make the head wine a bit. So the silent mode helps if you have HMI on set for audio recording.

But don't let the prices in anyones catalog fool you. They may have a day rate listed but all rental houses will have a weekly rate for a movie of say anywhere between 1 and 2 days per week for a rental. It depends how competitive your local market is and how much you beg and scream that you have no money. Most rental house will work with you a bit.

personally CSC is one of my favorite rental house where the guys there are good men and they take care of their own equipment very well. They will also help and take care of you too.

By the way CSC is owned by ARRI so it is the best spot in NYC for Arri gear whether it cameras or lights.

Best

Tim

PS Andrew I tried to e mail you with your DP post the other day but haven't heard back from you. Were you able to see my online reel? Hoped you like it. Did I mention I know the CSC guys very well and can probably get a good discount for anything you may need. What's a guy have to do to get a job around here? heheheheh (shameless self promotion)

Edited by heel_e, 15 April 2006 - 05:13 PM.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Ritter Battery