#1 Mike Rivera

Mike Rivera

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:04 AM

I am a musician that has been doing music for nearly 18 years. I have just landed a meeting with Hasbro, Paramount, Dreamworks and Angry Films to submit music for a certain movie that begins shooting next month with a 2007 release. This is my first time ever doing anything at this magnitude. Does anyone know what usually the going rate is for music production for a major motion picture release and how it works into a $100 mil plus budget? I am very excited and very nervous at the same time, I really don't know what to expect when I go in...all I know is that I called Hasbro with a few lisencing questions and by the time I was done speaking with the person on the other end, they were asking me to come to Providence, RI and present my package along with my music personally. This is a dream come true but at the same time I dont want to sell myself short. Currently I have yet to have any music put to film or tv...but I do have a website where I've realeased my own music, and is now heard in over 50 countries worldwide. If you're curious check out my link and the first song you will hear is a score that I wrote for Superman Returns. I was eventually passed over for composer John Ottman, but I was #1 on google for superman mp3 search for 2 months in a row. If any one can help me please do! Thanks.

www.soundclick.com/mikeriveraakamikeyrukus

#2 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 30 April 2006 - 01:42 AM

I would presonally get an agent or an entertainment lawyer to help me negociate the deal. Being a novas at this You don't want to overplay your hand but you also don't want to give away the farm. I would listen to what their offering is and then bring the deal to someone who knows the difference between a good deal and a bad one. I would say for sure that you need to get a reasonable royalty from Hasbro and of course on the soundtrack album in addition to the money your paid up front. Don't be rude, but don't let them charm or pressure you into making a quick deal without having the opportunity to secure representation and getting representation should be easy sense you already have a deal in play. I would try approaching some of the bigger agencies considering who's involved in this project. I might also suggest researching the trades and see what others have been sign to do similar projects for. Start with the Hollywood Reporter and Variety.

As far as what you should ask for, as you probably already know the rights to music for a film is a very fluid thing, but for a film budgeted at over 100 mil. thet're not going to expect you to give them away. One things for sure, they must really like your stuff in order to give smeone without any expirence the chance to do a film that costs that much to make. So you should go in confident in your position and show them your easy to work with but not a pushover. That confidence in your ability to make them money is the key, because if they didn't think your music would help make them money, they wouldn't want you as much as they do.

Hey, congradulations, man. I'll bet your the envy of a whiole lot of guys right now. GOOD LUCK!

#3 Mike Rivera

Mike Rivera

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 30 April 2006 - 07:07 AM

thanks for the reply...since posting I have aquired both an agent and an entertainment attorney of whom both I will be meeting with on Tuesday. I'm still not sure what to think of the whole thing, but I know I'm ready to work and I will have people in place to not only make sure that the deal is fair, but that me being a rookie...let's just say that im not going to surround myself with a bunch of rookies and pray that we get the job done. I will surround myself with an editor, orchestrator and other musicians that know their craft, that will challenge me, and whom I can learn from. Thank you for your response...I'll keep you posted.

#4 Jonathan Spear

Jonathan Spear
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:51 AM

I'm so $%#$% jealous :) .

GOOD LUCK MAN!!!

Remember.. you have something they want.

#5 Markus

Markus
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:33 PM

So what film are we talking about? My guess would be Michael Bay's Transformers - Movie :D !

Anyway, Best of Luck with the Job!

Edited by Markus, 30 April 2006 - 12:36 PM.

#6 Rolfe Klement

Rolfe Klement
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Director
  • London | LA

Posted 30 April 2006 - 01:44 PM

make sure you meet with more than one agent and lawyer - check who your idols are using (CAA etc)

thanks

Rolfe

#7 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 30 April 2006 - 07:25 PM

thanks for the reply...since posting I have aquired both an agent and an entertainment attorney of whom both I will be meeting with on Tuesday. I'm still not sure what to think of the whole thing, but I know I'm ready to work and I will have people in place to not only make sure that the deal is fair, but that me being a rookie...let's just say that im not going to surround myself with a bunch of rookies and pray that we get the job done. I will surround myself with an editor, orchestrator and other musicians that know their craft, that will challenge me, and whom I can learn from. Thank you for your response...I'll keep you posted.

I think you've made the absolutely correct discisions here. My father always tells me " You'll be brilliant if you surround yourself with brilliant people" and although I am thourghly convinced you are brilliant, these guys will only make your life easier. Just keep in mind that I tried to help you when you reach John Willliams status and I want to use some of your music in a film I'm making. :D But siriously, again this is fantastic. I'm really happy for you and please do, definately keep me up to date. It looks like you've got a bright future ahead of you. and I'd love to see how it starts ;)

#8 Mike Rivera

Mike Rivera

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:45 PM

I think you've made the absolutely correct discisions here. My father always tells me " You'll be brilliant if you surround yourself with brilliant people" and although I am thourghly convinced you are brilliant, these guys will only make your life easier. Just keep in mind that I tried to help you when you reach John Willliams status and I want to use some of your music in a film I'm making. :D But siriously, again this is fantastic. I'm really happy for you and please do, definately keep me up to date. It looks like you've got a bright future ahead of you. and I'd love to see how it starts ;)

I have a catalogue of music that I'd love for you all to listen to, unfortunately I only have a small amount posted online. I have an exclusive website currently under construction. But if you'd like to hear some of my stuff, you can go to:

http://www.soundclic...raakamikeyrukus

The thematic material I have been working on recently has to be kept confidential, but you can go and listen to the different styles that I bring, from rock...to hiphop...to techno-hybrid, to an orchestral score that I submitted to Warner Bros. for Superman Returns. They passed me over for John Ottman, but I was #1 on the google.com search engine for Superman mp3's two months in a row. All of my other music is available for sub-licensing. Keep in mind what you hear online does not compare to the real thing. At this point in time I am completely open to work with anyone and everyone, their have been no exclusivity clauses or agreements pushed my way as of yet. I am happy to build concepts with anyone for any film. Please feel free to contact me.
Mike Rivera
MikeyRukus Music, L.L.C.
804-458-8177
804-733-8609
mikeymike6kids@hotmail.com

I have a catalogue of music that I'd love for you all to listen to, unfortunately I only have a small amount posted online. I have an exclusive website currently under construction. But if you'd like to hear some of my stuff, you can go to:

The thematic material I have been working on recently has to be kept confidential, but you can go and listen to the different styles that I bring, from rock...to hiphop...to techno-hybrid, to an orchestral score that I submitted to Warner Bros. for Superman Returns. They passed me over for John Ottman, but I was #1 on the google.com search engine for Superman mp3's two months in a row. All of my other music is available for sub-licensing. Keep in mind what you hear online does not compare to the real thing. At this point in time I am completely open to work with anyone and everyone, their have been no exclusivity clauses or agreements pushed my way as of yet. I am happy to build concepts with anyone for any film. Please feel free to contact me.
Mike Rivera
MikeyRukus Music, L.L.C.
804-458-8177
804-733-8609
mikeymike6kids@hotmail.com

Oh yeah....I do video games too......lol!!!

#9 Mike Rivera

Mike Rivera

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:30 PM

(SIGH!) :( Sorry guys, the deal fell thru. An agent informed me that the position of composer is already locked. If you want to hear what I submitted check out my website. The song is called Rise. I was shooting for this to be the main theme, I had thematic material as well, but they never got to hear it. This song though was one I was really proud of, I blended orchestral arrangements with rock, techno-hybrid, and hiphop, to form one seamless sound. Check it out and let me know what you think.

:( ....Yet I press on...

#10 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:31 AM

Be discouraged not, young Skywalker. Goes this way the film industry does. Hopefully your agent realizes your talent and will submit you for other things. You've already had 2 close one, it's only a matter of time and persiverence till your scoring a feature. Most guys never even get a the offer of a meeting so onward and upward, third times the charm. I'm going to listen to your stuff. I definately would like to see if there's something we could work together on. Thanks for the web address, I'll definately check it out. Again keep the faith and keep on truckin' B) .

#11 Dan Goldberg

Dan Goldberg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Student
  • London, Ontario, Canada

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:04 PM

your music sounds incredible. I am so sorry your deal fell through. I am sure you be contacted soon. :)
Good luck with everything!!

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc