#1 RobertGruman

RobertGruman

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:06 AM

I'm not sure if i should have put this in here or beginning filmmakers so i apologize if it's out of place, I also recognize there is a recommended reading section but it is mostly just about the art of cinematography (which would make sense since this is cinematography.com).

But my question is this...i've worked on a few independents as a PA and really want to expand into making my own films on DV. It always looked easy from working on the set but as i read the posts on here it starts to sound terribly overwhelming to achieve the shots I'd want to implement etc.

As somebody who knows little to nothing about the canon xl2 or what the different functions on the camera actually do, little to nothing about how each lene/filter will effect each shot, etc. And also as somebody who can't afford film school right now...are there any books/websites/dvd's for somebody in my position just coming in?

I know this isn't the type of question you experienced guys wanna hear, and i apologize, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 Tim Tyler

Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:40 AM

Robert,

There's nothing wrong with asking your questions here, but you need to ask more specifically.

Firstly, ask your XL2 specific questions in the Canon XL1 / XL2 forum.

I also recommend that you read through the 'First Time Filmmakers' and 'Education' forums, as well as the archived forums that go back to 1998. Your 'How do I get started' question has been answered here many times over the years.

#3 RobertGruman

RobertGruman

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 April 2006 - 12:44 PM

Robert,

There's nothing wrong with asking your questions here, but you need to ask more specifically.

Firstly, ask your XL2 specific questions in the Canon XL1 / XL2 forum.

I also recommend that you read through the 'First Time Filmmakers' and 'Education' forums, as well as the archived forums that go back to 1998. Your 'How do I get started' question has been answered here many times over the years.

Thanks Tim...appreciate the advice.

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Visual Products